Author Topic: Link Station Mini can't be found on the network  (Read 4362 times)

HoneyBadgerLR

• Calf
Link Station Mini can't be found on the network
« on: January 02, 2015, 01:37:55 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am trying to set up my Link Station Mini (LS-WS500GL/R1) on my network, but can't seem to connect to it. The drive was previously set up on my network, but hasn't worked since buying a new wireless router (Linksys e3000). The drive is plugged in via Ethernet to the router, and there is one green light that sometimes blinks along with the solid blue Link Station logo LED. The drive spins up when turned on and doesn't show any signs of a failed hard drive (no repeated clicking, etc...). I have initialized the drive by pushing the Function button on the top while turning it on and pushing it again to turn the drive on, but still can't seem to find it on the network. I have tried this on three different computers (windows XP SP3, 7, and Technical Preview [10]), but none of them can find it via wired or through wifi. The installation software can't seem to find it either (There are no available linkstations available on the network error). I know some people can get into the WebAdmin, but I can't seem to get into that either; all I get is a "This page can't be displayed" error when I know i'm putting the right IP in the address bar.
If someone can help me, I would greatly appreciated!
P.S. I can't update firmware since web admin wont come up.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:39:42 PM by HoneyBadgerLR »

jkolker

• Calf
Re: Link Station Mini can't be found on the network
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:46:06 PM »
Did any of the network settings change with the new router?  Either the default gateway (ie 192.168.1.1) or subnet mask (ie 255.255.255.0)?  If those changed, that could be the issue. 

Also, try connecting your drive with an ethernet cable directly to your pc.  See if you can get in that way.

Not an expert here, just throwing out some ideas....

good luck!
Jeff

HoneyBadgerLR

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:17:16 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
Unfortunately the drive still can't be accessed even through a direct Ethernet connection to the computer... any of them...
the default ip changed on the new router, but the subnet didn't. I don't know how I would be able to change any settings on the link station if nothing on my network even knows it exists...

jkolker

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 04:25:21 PM »
This might work...

You could change the default IP address of the router to what the old router had.  I had a linksys at one time, it was 192.168.1.1.  I got a Buffalo router, but it was 192.168.1.11.  So, instead of changing everything else, I edited my router settings to use the 192.168.1.1.  After that, everything work as normal. 

Might work for you as well.

HoneyBadgerLR

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 07:09:13 PM »
I just tried that. No luck (of course). What if I were to set up a mock network, where I use an old router (I have an old Linksys WRT54G) and a laptop (my windows xp one) and connect the station up to the router to see if I can pick it up (like a fresh start). My laptop doesn't even have wifi, so the only thing I could do is an Ethernet connection to the router... Do you think that would work?

jkolker

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 07:12:42 PM »
i can't hurt to try doing that....

HoneyBadgerLR

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 07:47:57 PM »
Well, I set up my mock network, and to no avail, still can't seem to find the thing. I did however go through the Advanced install (on the regular setup using my primary router and primary computer) and the software did find it, however failed at mapping the drive. Clicking finish gave me the NasNavigator2 window with the IP being a default one (I put that into my address bar and got the "This webpage can't be displayed" error), and a subnet of 255.0.0.0, so that's probably not good. Also all my computers are currently on a workgroup (SEAGATEGROUP), and Nas is saying the linkstation is on the workstation UNKNOWN. At least I know now that it isn't something catastrophic like the network jack on the link station or something like that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:49:31 PM by HoneyBadgerLR »

jkolker

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 07:54:21 PM »
if you right click on it in Nas Navigator, and select properties, can you get anything?  If you get a screen, select the IP Address tab, unselect Use DHCP and modify the subnet mask? 

HoneyBadgerLR

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 08:12:45 PM »
This drive is really weird. Going through basic installation, I am unable to find the drive, and going through advanced installation, I can. When I right click on the drive and go into the ip settings, I can change the ip, subnet, and default gateway, but when prompted for a password, it returns an error that the "Drive does not reply". I really think this drive hates me.

jkolker

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 08:35:35 PM »
Think i would call the tech support number, and see if they know what to do. 

HoneyBadgerLR

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 10:42:31 AM »
I contacted buffalo tech support and they said that by the errors the program was giving me, it's something wrong with either how the program is communicating with windows, how the drive is communicating with my router, or both. I told the drive was tried on multiple computers and a totally different hard drive, but she didn't know why the drive wouldn't communicate with Nas. Not sure what to do at this point... since using it as a network drive is almost out of the question at this point, would it just be worth it to take the drives out and put them into my computer? It's a shame this drive doesn't work and genius me bought it way too long ago to be able to return it (the store's out of business) or send it to Buffalo for a replacement.

jkolker

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 09:05:11 AM »
Not sure if you can take them out and use them directly in your computer.  Depends on how the drive is formatted.

Sucks when things break, but unfortunately, they do.  :(

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 09:34:10 AM »
So if you are now finding the drive with the advance setup but you cant change the ip address on the linkstation. Set up your pc to have the same information as the linkstation but one ip address higher. This way you can login to the unit and change the ipaddress to DHCP. If that does not work. Find the LSRecovery tool in the search options and use that to reset the password/settings. Hopefully you also have a copy of the data as there is a 40% chance of your data going poof if you use that tool.

If you want to recover the data only, Let me know. Tell me how many hdds you have, and if there is 2 or more. what raid are they setup in.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:38:07 AM by joma90 »
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people