Author Topic: jpg thumbnails via web access  (Read 4257 times)

stevejplummer

• Calf
jpg thumbnails via web access
« on: December 13, 2008, 04:15:03 PM »

I have had a LinkStation Live DH500GL for a few months but have only recently set it up to access files remotely via the Internet.  Set up was simple and it works really well (a relief after battling unsuccessfully for weeks with a similar product from Western Digital).  However, I miss not being able to view jpg (or other image file) thumbnails on the BuffaloNas web page.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to configure the web page to display thumbnails instead of folders ?

Many thanks.

Steve

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: jpg thumbnails via web access
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 10:35:15 AM »
At this time it is not possible, however I will send this request to our corporate office.

pholt1

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 07:43:36 PM »
   Yes I too would like to be able to see Thumbnails.  Even if I have to got thru a couple of pages in thumbnail view.  Instead of a thumbnail list all on one page.  Also a logout button would be nice too.  I noticed when trying to setup multiple accounts.... I couldn't logout and log into another account to test.  Closing the page also did not work.  In order to logout I had to log out of windows and log back in.

kpowell

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 05:08:19 PM »

I just wanted to add my voice to this request.  As a matter of fact - the only things that I have been wanting on this thing for web access have been the Logout button (when I am at a remote site, I would like to be assured that nobody else can get in) and the thumbnail photos (I would like to give my parents access to my digital photo library so they can see the most recent photos of their grandson.) 

Everything else on it works great and as expected.

Thanks.

-Kent

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 10:45:31 AM »

Ok I will pass this up as well, thanks

pholt1

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 02:05:44 PM »

Paul wrote:

Ok I will pass this up as well, thanks

I know we just posted but i have seen this as well on other forums....  But would it be possible to find out what actions are being taken up the line to improve this.  Was our feedback accepted?? 

Also when viewing all these pictures since we don't have thumbnails you have to open each picture.  When opening these pictures and you find out you are STILL on the wrong picture and you hit the back button to return to the list of pictures... but instead you are send back to the original buffalonas.com page.  My question is there a way to return to already open sub-folders that you are looking thru instead of re-opening all folders and sub-folders in order to get back to where you were???

PAT

LS_W1_0TGL

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 12:07:44 AM »

I was told at

MacWorld 2009 in San Francisco

at the

Buffalo booth

by

Brian Hill of Buffalo

that this capability was available now. 

Is this not the case?

I don't want to go through all the hassle of upgrading the firmware if this is not the case.

Thanks

kpowell

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 02:43:55 PM »

Yes and no on the availibility of this.

They have added a "Preview" link to image files that will allow you to view a smaller version of the photo without downloading the entire thing.  It looks like they just used a simple lightbox script.  This is better than what there used to be (nothing) but still short of an actual thumbnail preview page where you can view ALL of the thumbnails rather than one by one.

-Kent

justinwhite

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 05:53:03 PM »

Just a bump to see if there are any new developments on this. Just bought a LS Live and can't preview JPG's. The number one thing I would like to see is a thumbnail view for an entire folder of images. A logout button would also be nice, esp when setting up and using different accounts.

Any progress Buffalo on the thumbnail view? Thanks!  BTW, all other impressions of this product are great! Just wish the web access would be expanded on.

daoswald

• Buffalo
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 03:31:58 AM »

Something to consider:

The Buffalo NAS (at least my Linkstation Live 320) has a basic no-frills version of Apache webserver installed in it.  This webserver is what serves the configuration pages, and is presumably behind the web access pages as well.

That being the case, it is possible to put HTML files in your web-accessable share, and those files can be handled by your browser just like any website's web pages.  About the only thing you can't do is CGI stuff.

Some photo-handling software packages allow you to automatically create an HTML-based slideshow.  Adobe Lightroom, for example, can do this.  With Lightroom I can upload an HTML based slideshow directly to one of my web-accessable shared folders on the LinkStation, and then email the link to the front page.  Anyone visiting the link will be taken to the slide show, complete with thumbnails.

This is a software based solution, of course; your photo handling software must be capable of generating the thumbnails as well as full-sized images, AND the HTML to link them all together.