Author Topic: Linkstation HS-DH500GL and usb drive  (Read 5825 times)

rwalter

• Calf
Linkstation HS-DH500GL and usb drive
« on: May 27, 2009, 06:23:34 AM »

I've had the Linkstation running for a while with other USB drives.  I have a new Seagate Freeagent 1TB drive that I want to use with the Linkstation.  I connected the drive and formatted it with the Linkstation's utility to native Linkstation XFS format.  I began immediately having problems.  Upon connection, a "usbdisk1" folder appears in the "pictures" folder on the Linkstation's drive.  If you enter this folder, another appears, and another, and another...  So you end up with: share->pictures->usbdisk1->usbdisk1->usbdisk1... for as deep as you care to go.  If you copy any files to the actual usbdisk1, they are mirrored on the Linkstation's drive, again and again....   Also, when using the Linkstation's web interface, there is no option to create a share on the connected USB drive.

I have cleaned off the Linkstation's drive and reformatted it and the Seagate's drive multiple times with the same result each time.  If I "disconnect" the usb drive through the web interface, I still get the mirroring effect on the Linkstation's drive.

Is the Seagate Freeagent simply not compatible?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Richard 

PS. ROM version 2.1, workstations are XP and Vista, behavior same for all.

Message Edited by rwalter on 05-27-2009 02:02 PM

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation HS-DH500GL and usb drive
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 06:07:36 PM »
Try a force firmware update and check the option to "delete user config".

rwalter

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:16:22 PM »
   Thank you for your reply. I performed the procedure as described in the forum header. I then powered down, hooked up the usb drive and powered up. Unfortunately, I still see the same behavior, which is that a folder, usbdisk1 is created under the pictures folder and reiterated as many levels as I care to dive. The drive seems to function normally without the usb drive hooked up. Regards, RHW

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 09:45:53 PM »
Are you using the media server function? We believe the issue is related to that, so if you're not using it, disable it in the PCast menu, then format the external drive

rwalter

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 10:17:24 PM »
   Well, here is something interesting. If I format the Linkstation's drive, then, when I set up the share I name it "lsshare" rather than "share," no "picture" folder is created and thus, no wierd subfolders either. In answer to your question, yes, PCCAST had media server enabled. I don't remember doing it... but it is shut down now. I downloaded firmware 2.11. Would it have any influence on any of this. I am tempted to leave things as is, with the "lsshare" folder in place for a while and see if I have it steadied out. Again, thanks for your help and interest. Regards, RHW

rwalter

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 10:30:30 PM »

Okay, the plot is thickening.  I got out an old Maxtor drive that I used with the Linkstation before.  It becomes usbdisk1, and as before no option to change that or add a share to it. 

On the usbdisk1 drive, a usbdisk1 folder appears, and reiterates itself as you double click on it.

Then  to go further, I powered it all down and hooked up the Seagate to usb2.  Usbdisk2 appears.  On Usbdisk2, there is a usbdisk1 folder that reiterates itself.

There is no Usbdisk2 folder on Usbdisk1 or lsshare.  There is no usbdisk1 folder on lsshare either.   So somehow, renaming the share seems to have fixed the issue for THAT share. 

Let me know if you want me to try anything else...or if you think the new firmware would be of help.

Regards,

RHW

smithgt

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »

Was any solution found to fix this problem?

I'd like the DLNA funaction available for my new SmartTV, but the pictures folder bug is casuing me a headache.