Author Topic: How many Computers can use LinkStation Pro™ LS-XHL for Time Machine BU?  (Read 2505 times)

mallej

• Calf

Hello,

from the manual i can´t see how many Computers can use LinkStation Pro™ LS-XHL for Time Machine BU.

I want to backup two Macs over WLAN and one over LAN.

Is this easy possible? 

kevin

• El Toro
I believe just one can be setup at a time

mallej

• Calf

oh, that sounds bad.

can someone proof this information.

i´m planing to buy the  LS-XHL but if it only support one Mac - Time Machine i have to plan a new backup strategy :(

kevin

• El Toro

I believe I stand corrected! Buffalo only supports this to work with one computer, however there are work arounds that should get it to work with more than 1 though not many as it will slow down the NAS (which is why its only supported for one at a time), but here it is... It is also recommended that you set each computer up to different shares to minimize any confusion in either software....

TO SETUP A TIME MACHINE SPARSEBUNDLE:

1. Open up the Terminal (Open up Finder->Applications->Utilities)

2. In the command line type in the following:

hdiutil create -fs HFS+J -size [Size_in_GB]g -volname "Backup of[computer_name]"[computer_name]_[Ethernet_MAC_address].sparsebundle

3. Press enter after that long command and you should have a sparsebundle file created on your desktop or User folder

4. Move the sparsebundle file to a folder on the NAS (say TimeMachine for example)

Q: When specifying the sparsebundle size does that mean the sparsebundle itself will be that large?

A: No. Specifying the sparsebundle size in the commandline tells Time Machine when it will start deleting older setups inorder to make room for newer.

Again, this is not a supported work around but is known to work!

*KUDOS to Dustrega for this info*