Author Topic: TeraStation Raid Errors I17, I12, E13, E23...  (Read 10411 times)

NeRo

• Calf
TeraStation Raid Errors I17, I12, E13, E23...
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:45:59 PM »

Hello,

sorry for my bad english - I use to speek german ;-)

My TeraStation HS-DHTGL / R5 (firmware 2.14) frequently refuses to work properly. The problem begins with an uncomplete shutdown, that means, the disks stop spinning but the display does not go out. After a reboot I get the message I17 (yellow led is on) and the scan of the array takes about 24 hours. After that the display shows ok (green led). After the next reboot (takes very long) the real disaster takes place ;-) Starting with a message I12 continuing with (red led) E13 it ends in E23 and the text that disk 1 were not ok. I even got en errror E00 (MPU NoResponse) but only once. At the moment the station is rebuilding the array (may be that lasts until tomorrow night).

I had exactly the same problem some time ago. Then according to the Buffalo support I upgraded to firmware version 2.14.

But I think it is quite annoying to always update the firmware before I can use the station ;-(

Has anybody some experience on that problem or maybe even a hint how to repair / avoid it ?

Thank you

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: TeraStation Raid Errors I17, I12, E13, E23...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 08:51:02 AM »
You can try to set the unit back to factory defaults (causing no data loss), however it sounds like a controller issue.  What model number is it?

NeRo

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 01:22:19 PM »

Meanwhile the whole array was rebuilded (took about 20 h). After that the red and yellow led's where out. But the system did not shut down properly. Like before the disks stopped spinning, the system was not answering to ping, bit the display stayed illuminated until it withdrew power. When rebooting, the problem (and all the error messages) returned.

The s/n is 99884071100968G. That must somehow contain the model number.

If the controller should be faulty, is it possible for me to replace it myself ? I think it can't be much worse then changing some PCI-Card in a normal PC ?

I think there is no warranty anymore.

Where could I get a new controller ? And how much should it cost ?

Thank you 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »

Controllers are built into the motherboard, so its not a swapable part. 

Can you log into it now or can the nas navi software find it?

NeRo

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »

Although the yellow and the red led are on I have full access to the station's drives via windows explorer and I can administer the station with the web interface.

if I have to face the worst case and the whole board must be replaced, is that a big action ? 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 09:09:23 AM »
It may be difficult to find a replacement at this time, but the actual swapping of the board is not difficult

NeRo

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 01:13:32 PM »

Hello Paul,

thank you. The first "ARRAY1Rebuilding" unfortunately did not solve the problem. Now the error message points to disk 2. So indeed it looks like the controller is a littel bit confused.

I think we can close this thread and I will look for a replacement board.

May be, if I found one, I will post it here.