Author Topic: DriveStation Combo 4 How to reformat to NTFS?  (Read 2150 times)

Phil777

• Calf
DriveStation Combo 4 How to reformat to NTFS?
« on: May 19, 2009, 03:09:02 AM »

I purchased this item to be used as backup for my files and knew from reviews that it had to be reformatted to NTFS. That is where the problems ensued as there is no information whatsoever as to how to go about doing this.

However, I did find that clicking on the drive brings up a window where it asks you to reformat the disk. Clicking on the reformat button brings up the format window. This has a section entitled 'Allocation unit size' which has eight size options from 512 bytes to 64 kilobytes. This doesn't seem anywhere near the Gigabytes needed. What do I put in there? Then it has an option for 'Quick format' which can be ticked. Should I tick that?

Well I tried once without ticking it and the green progress bar started on the window BEHIND this screen and got to the end of the red 'X' and stopped.

The time before that I did not tick the 'quick format and the green progress bar went all the way across and nothing happened.

So, I am very confused as to how to get the disk reformatted.

Can anyone help please?

Phil.

kevin

• El Toro
Re: DriveStation Combo 4 How to reformat to NTFS?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 04:53:33 AM »

What Operating System do you have?

Try this once more...

Right click on the drive and select format, check on "Quick Format"... What happens?

Phil777

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 09:17:42 AM »

Kevin,

Thanks for that but a Tech guy visited this afternoon to fix my network printing problem (both computers would not print even though they had supposedly been set up to do just that a few days earlier) and helped to reformat the Buffalo disk. He accessed it through some other menu and fixed it in a few seconds. Magic! Now I will have to set up the Memeo backup for my files.

I suppose the thing about the reformatting screen with progress bar is that there is no indication either at the start or during the process indicating how much time it will take or is left to go. It might be minutes, hours or days for all I or anyone else knows. Even though the progress bar had moved to the extreme right hand side it just stayed there for at least another 15 mins. How many more 15 mins would it take to complete the task? And it is not as if you can minimize the window either - you can only close it.

Regds,

Phil.

Phil777

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:18:41 AM »

Kevin,

Sorry - to answer your question it is Vista 32 bit.

Phil.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:57:19 AM »

Phil777 wrote:

Kevin,

Sorry - to answer your question it is Vista 32 bit.

Phil.

No worries, you got it going thas the main part...

A 1TB drive not doing a quick format will take the better part of a few hours!