Author Topic: HS DH500GL problem  (Read 6317 times)

Cyclewrks

• Calf
HS DH500GL problem
« on: May 20, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »
   I have a HS DH500GL that has worked flawlessly for about 2 years until this week. I can no longer access the share folders on it via any of the computers on my home network. It shows up via the Nas Navigator with the following info Host Name HS-DHGL-EM4D; WorkGroup UNKNOWN; IP Address 192.168.1.2; Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0; Mac Address 00:16:01:C5:0F:4D; Firm Ware -----. It is not access able via shortcuts that previous linked to shares and the NAS is not visible on the network. Tried to reload the firmware but it was unable to find the NAS. Any help is greatly appreciated.

AlCummings

• Calf
Re: HS DH500GL problem
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 04:32:43 PM »

evening. It must be a small world as yesterday I experienced exactly the same. The drive has been working for around 18 months, I copied some music to it on Sunday and that was the last time it worked. Tried updating the firmware but the network won't see the linkstation. Totally lost.

Come on boys and girls - help is needed. Don't fancy losing an entire music collection thats took years to collate, but more importantly, pictures of my little girl since she was born. Yes, should have backed it up but lets be honest, we didn't expect this to fall over.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:50:25 PM »

Did you disable all of the firewalls on this computer?  Try booting your computer in safe mode with networking.  Also make sure you have the correct firmware for your unit.  Also if you are wireless connect your computer to the router/switch that your unit is connected.

If all of that fails you can always connect the unit directly to your computer and give that a try.  Make sure your computer has an ip address that is on the same subnet as the unit.

Cyclewrks

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:43:01 AM »

All computors that have access to the NAS are hardwired to the router as is the NAS. Tried Safe mode w/ networking with the fire walls down and got the same results. 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »
Did you check the IP subnets?  If the unit is found by the NASNAVI there is no reason that the updater shouldnt find the device unless there is an IP, firewall or you already have the most up to date firmware on the unit already (in which case you would have to force the firmware update).  Just double check those things and keep me informed

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 02:58:11 AM »

Pls connect the unit directly to your computer.

Then run the Nas Navigator and see if it can detect an ip from the Linkstation.

Test it then let us know.

Cyclewrks

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 05:11:16 PM »
   Tried the direct connect and got the same results. The Nas Navigator sees the unit but no access to the shares and no luck in updating the firmware.

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 08:42:40 AM »

Just need to find out some info. 

1. What is the IP address as shown on the Nas Navigator of your Linkstation?

2. What is the IP address of your computer?

3. What is the filename of the firmware that you have downloaded?

mook

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 07:42:02 AM »

Having *exact* same problem.    This seems to be a common problem as I see many post about the DH500GL, but no solutions.

Can someone help?

Firmware shows "-------" in the NAS.   Everything else lists as fine in the NAS.

Now, I'm in EM mode.   Direct connected to laptop.  All unnessary memory resident apps are OFF including antivirus, Firewalls, etc.   LinkStation IP is 192.168.11.150 and my IP is 192.168.11.149 and our netmasks are 255.255.255.0.

I can ping the LinkStation.

I cannot get Browser to LinkStation.    I have followed directions to FORCE the Firmware Update and the update doesn't even go into Debug mode.    All I get is "cannot find Station to update".

HELP!!!    This Buffalo drive is less than 6 months old!

Do I have to return it to Buffalo for servicing?    Seems like I can't reach this drive using the various methods posted on these Forums.

Any ideas??

TIA,

Mook

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 08:39:13 PM »

If your set is under warranty, 

you need to sent it to your local Buffalo Service Centre if none of the available solutions in this forum helps.

If your set is no onger under warranty,

remove hard drive from the linkstation live,

plug it into a linux-installed computer,

copy data out from partitions mounted in linux.

Screw back hard disk into linkstation live.

Go into EM Mode then use the TFTP method to update your firmware.

So far, I've used these methods for several linstation live and it works for me everytime. 

snarkler

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 12:56:12 PM »
   I three have the identical problem - accidentally disconnected the network cable while installing a new toy and not i can't access this one any more.  It has an IP and MAC address, the tool says there is a share on the drive, but the message says is is not part of network.

snarkler

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 12:57:23 PM »
   I three have the identical problem - accidentally disconnected the network cable while installing a new toy and now i can't access this one any more.  It has an IP and MAC address, the tool says there is a share on the drive, but the message says is is not part of network.

Cyclewrks

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 11:10:04 AM »

Sorry for the late reply but I have been out of town.

The LinkStation IP is 192.168.11.150, my computer IP is 192.168.11.149

The firmware that I downloaded from the Buffalo site is HS-DHGL_211_101b

Cyclewrks

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 12:23:35 PM »
   Any body have any advice on this?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 05:49:52 AM »
Do you have any firewalls running on the local machine that you're attempting the update from?