Author Topic: Win XP Administrator user problems  (Read 2665 times)

buf00

• Calf
Win XP Administrator user problems
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:15:22 PM »

Buffalo LinkStation Mini

Model# LS-WS500GL/R1

Firmware: 1.04

Configured for RAID1

My O/S: Win XP Pro SP3

My Win XP box has an admin acct named "Administrator" and a normal acct named "User1". I changed the LinkStation drive name to LS. When I create a new file there as windows User1, the explorer shows Owner = LS\user1, which is good. When I am logged in as windows user Administrator, and create a new file on LS, the explorer shows Owner = Unix User\nobody, which is kind of bad.

Similarly, in the browser config http://LS (or http://192.168.1.46), User Management, I cannot Add a user named "administrator" or "Administrator" -- the drive complains "Error, user name can’t be used". I cannot change the name of the built-in drive user "admin" to "Administrator". And in Shared Folders Setup for "RAID Array 1", if I enable Access Restrictions then User1 can access the drive no problem but Administrator can't because I couldn't create it as a user on the drive.

Please advise.

buf00

• Calf
Re: Win XP Administrator user problems
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 09:24:35 AM »

Additional info: I'm using Workgroups, not windows Domains.  Also, when I installed the O/S, by the name on this administrative windows account was Administrator - by default.

spektre1

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 01:05:21 AM »

Ok; by default, the device is going to create files as the guest user if it can't authenticate you as any other account. That gets translated to Unix\Nobody by default. Unfortuantely, there's not too much you can do about the admin user name, because it's a reserved user name in most operating systems. Unfortunately, the only option I can suggest here is to create another user on the device that acts as the "Administrator" user on the device, but isn't actually named that. Obviously, because of the Single Sign On system in windows, it tries to access network shares with your windows login first, but this won't work very well if you're trying to write files to the device with the Administrator account.

Your best bet here is to use another account on the system to write files to the LS.

buf00

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 12:05:26 PM »

You're right.  I used winxp the User Accounts control panel to create a user called "admin" with the same password as the drive user of the same name, and now I have the access I wanted.  This is something I didn't realize about Win XP: the "Administrator" account was simply a default, and the O/S wanted me to create another administrative acct in User Accounts.  When I did so, the downside is that my old Administrator profile was no longer available from the Win XP Welcome screen, so I had to re-do all my settings (O/S and applications) for the new "admin" account.  I can still login as windows user Administrator if I disable the XP Welcome Screen, but to make proper use of the Buffalo drive I'll just stop using Administrator and will use admin instead.

buf00

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 12:06:55 PM »

FYI to Buffalo: I tested the iomega StorCenter ix2 and it let me (a) create an administrative drive user with any name I wanted, and (b) assign admin privileges to any other drive user I wished to create.  Their drive was more convenient in that respect.

cbergeson

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
Unfortunately we do see issues like this come up as a result of the Administrator user being reserved by the unit's operating system, and we do not have any solutions other than using a different user name for the applications you are having troubles with.