Author Topic: Buffalo CS-X1 in Emergency Mode and Force Updated to Firmware. Wrong Password!  (Read 12680 times)

astralliquid

• Calf
Hi

Suddenly my CS-X1 cannot be detected. I downloaded NAS Navigator and found it to be in EM. Then I updated the firmware to 1.13 and now it keep asking me for device password.

I tried Googling everywhere to reset the password but there is not an answer anywhere except using the LS password recovery software which some says will remove all the files.

How do I reset the password on CS-X1 when there isn't any reset button? The default password "password" don't work either.

Appreciate if someone or Buffalo support can help!

astralliquid

• Calf
Someone said don't use the LS recovery tool on "cloudstors" or the data will go poof.. is CS-X1 Cloudstation same as "cloudstor" ?

astralliquid

• Calf
To be clear I updated the firm to the 1.13-2.35 version and my cloudstor CS-X1 1 TB do not have a "Function" button to hold for reseting..

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Thats right, you use that LSrecovery tool on a cloudstor all your data will go POOF.

Th CS-X doesnt have no function button. Your best bet is to take it apart. hook the drive up to a linux OS or you pc and boot to a live linux cd and access the data that way. Or you can pay lots of money for a company to do it. Or you can wipe the drive and start over. 
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

astralliquid

• Calf
I tried taking it apart and put it in windows.. 4 drive appear and all says it need to be formatted. I put it back.

The drive is still in healthy mode. nas navigator and pogoplug still shows the drive (without showing the files)

Windows explorer cannot detect it saying something like smb file and print sharing not set.

With this scenario, is it necessary to get the device password and go into the drive? Should it be suffice to just fix the sharing issue?

Thanks

joma90

• VIP
Incorrect, You dont need the password. smh, i said to use linux not windows.

Windows cannot read a linux partitions data. You need to download and burn a image on a cd like linux mint, ubuntu are the easiest to use. DONT NOT INSTALL IT or you will wipe you hdd on your computer and no more windows. If you dont feel comfortably doing thing hire someone to do it then. This isnt hard but if you are inexperience with stuff like this then your are bound to farg things up. Im also hoping you didnt format the drive when you put it in the computer because there goes your data ...

astralliquid

• Calf
I have just got email reply from support saying they cant reset my passwords the device do not have a function button. And most probably the password partition is broken. Their advice is to follow your suggestion to boot it in linux and get the files.

While I am not familiar with Linux, I  IT savy and believe I can manage the process if any help is given.. No I have not format the hdd..

But before I go through the effort can you tell me

1) are the files not encrypted someway and can be read as they are on linux ?
2) any possibility of fixing the network path issue ( fix making windows see the device) before i take it apart?
3) if i go with linux route, is it necessary to get a USB enclosure or can i just add it as slave drive and read on the linux cd on my windows pc?

I am going to dl an image of linux now and go out and buy a USB enclosure if necessary.

Really appreciate your help

joma90

• VIP
Password partition LMFAO ROFLOL, one heck of a responds which makes no sense LOL. Most likely something with the firmware or software got corrupted and is causing the password issue. Once you get the data off you can use the LSRecovery tool to reset the password and then re-transfer your data back in to it.

1) no the files are not encrypted. They can only be read on a OS that reads XFS, EXT3, EXT2 file systems such as linux. Buffalo OS is based off linux OS

2) I thought you could see the device with Buffalo Nas Navigator? If so just map a drive with the software. It could be a NTLM setting, firewall or software that is causing you not to see the cloudstor in windows explorer IF you fixed the EM Mode already. if not that you would need to first fix the EM Mode. Will get to that after you get your data back.

3)You can added it as a slave drive and read it with the linux cd on your pc. You will need a place to store the files though. So either get a usb hdd or something. USB enclosure is not really necessary, that's just fancy now or if you are not technical i would recommend getting it but you are Tech savy so i wouldn't worry about it.

astralliquid

• Calf
Wow! Getting Ubuntu on an USB, plug it in, boot it up and reading the hdd I took apart and put it as Slave is easier than I thought!!! Pull it off in an hour and got back all my data! Thanks man!

Was having the same thought that now I can tryout the LsRecovery file (which IS NOT supported by buffalo) and see if it does really wipe out my cloudstor and confirm what you experts said earlier for the benefit of others. Will report back again.

Btw, you would hv notice english is not my first language, coming from Malaysia, it sucks to here from the support my CS-X1 model is way out of warranty and my model is an old version when i just bought it 1 year ago! Brand new! The box says 3years warranty!! Damn.. Anyway, last night i cut off the warranty sticker and do the linux thing.. Lol

:)

joma90

• VIP
Warranty is only good for HDDs really. In one year you should get what what use you paid for out of the unit. Though the Cloudstor is the crappiest unit I have ever since period. Was gear toward being partnered with Pogoplug which i think is a crappy service as well. Buy a linkstation, setup webaccess and bam. Same thing but more control in the unit. More features, Over all better. Also never but a single bay unit, go for 2 bay or more. you want redundancy at least if you aren't going to have 2 locations of were your data is. Hopefully the LSRecovery works. I have done it to many cloudstors and it has always wiped the data for me. Though peoples units i have fix they never cared so as long as i got the data out. :D

astralliquid

• Calf
So I put back the hdd to the cloudstor case and used LSrecovery to reset the the device. I can access the device again. And miraculously, the files are still intact! (But I did change the folders name when it was accessed directly as a slave hdd earlier, hence I am not sure if that is why the folders are not being removed)

Here is what happen :

1) Folder name on Cloudstor before it went kaput - "MY BACKUP"
2) Open Cloustor case, remove the HDD
3) Stick the HDD as slave on PC
4) Download Ubuntu to USB and boot up
5) Access the HDD from ubuntu and copy folder "MY BACKUP" to the master HDD
6) Rename "MY BACKUP" on Cloudstor to "DONE - MY BACKUP"
7) Put backup HDD to Cloudstor casing
8) Run Ls recovery tool
9) "DONE - MY BACKUP" folder was still accessible from Cloudstor as usual and from the network.

I wondered if I did not rename the folder to "DONE - MY BACKUP", would LS recovery would have wipe out the original folders.

Thanks joma90 for all the help!

joma90

• VIP
I have never tried renaming them before the lsrecovery tool. I had a cloudstor for testing purpose and everything i put data in the unit and did the ls recovery it did disappear but it was on a 2 bay Cloudstor. not a 1 bay, maybe that could be the difference.

kklee97

• Calf
Can anyone share me the  LS recovery tool my CS-X1 i forget the password

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Drop me a PM
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!