Author Topic: no TFTP-Boot possible on TS-IXL / R5  (Read 6601 times)

magu81

• Calf
no TFTP-Boot possible on TS-IXL / R5
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:53:34 AM »
Hello,

i got a big problem -  an there is no possibility to fix it with the FAQ seen on http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=10185.msg43001#msg43001  -- it still runs in EM - but there is no possibilty to go into TFTP-boot.

I still have a dhcp Server with prim. 192.168.11.1 running and showing that the Buffalo Terastation receives the 192.168.11.2 from the DCHP-Server.  After that - no TFTP-Boot is shown as nothing in the NAS-Navigator was shown too - im not able to find my Terastation anymore.  WHAT should i do ?

I have still downloaded the TFT-BOOT from your google-Drive space which offered -  but with the same results - still listening but nothing happens.

As you figured out, to do it like this http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=10182.0  - at my Terastation there isn't anything showed on LCD which is called ,,If the LCD reads "System EM Booting" then you may release the INIT button"

The history is - that after a crash of all 4 HDDs -  i have had to bought 4 new drives which already empty -  and so on i have to set up my terastation from scratch !

Is there anybody who could help me please !?

- and i still tried it with Windows7 and Windwos XP also -  the next with which i should try is LINUX -  but isn't there a NasNavigator available.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: no TFTP-Boot possible on TS-IXL / R5
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 07:21:35 AM »
All the TFTP application will do is put it into EM Mode anyways.
What happens when you try to reinstall the firmware?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

magu81

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 08:40:06 AM »
I have already tried it with TFTP-BOOT.exe only as with DHCP together if i wasn't sure that TFTP-BOOT.exe delivers both, dchp and PXE.

Nothing happens - because my terastation III wasn't found during NAS-navi and/or FW_Updater.exe - so i could not update anything.

All of my HDDs are empty - fresh stuff from my dealer.

So i only have to perform a TFTP-boot to get ,,initrd.buffalo" on it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:42:58 AM by magu81 »

magu81

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 03:09:50 AM »
IS ANYBODY here who can help me !?  or should it be THE LAST time, the second and absolutely last terastation i will have bought !?

Im not really happy about Terastations ... a FREENAS would be the better choice !

This terastation isnt found with NASNavigator and FW-Updater.exe too .... im not able to get a FW on it. The TFTP-BOOT.exe won't reach anything !!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:13:41 AM by magu81 »

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:52:30 AM »
So.. there is no IXL TFTP.. never had a unit to attempt to fix it. You will have to do it manually like so. Here is a link no how to do so.
http://ukblog.im-mobility.com/recovering-buffalo-terastation-pro-e06-lost-boot-image-error

Just replace any information from that unit to your unit. Also freenas is not better. stop with the threats... no good here. I have used free nas and its great. I used it even now but ZFS is no where as good as XFS. ZFS provides no real warning on a possible drive failure. There are many other things that make ZFS not a good choice vs XFS. It has more features to a degree and seems more powerful on certain things. But if you dont know what you are doing or are at least tech savy I would not switch to it. Also they dont offer features like Webaccess which i think is one of the big key features for a Buffalo nas product. But hey your the expert on freenas right.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

magu81

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 10:39:15 AM »
Thanks for your reply and your link -- BUT i have it found also three days ago and tried it exactly as described there -- also installed solar WINDS FTPT with out any success.

Im absolutely out of other ideas what i can do to fix this Problem ASAP.

It will still get an IP vom DHCP -Server --- but i think the PXE will not work properly or is there any Key-sequence with the buttons i have to press to get an TFTP-Boot.

Most times i exactly know what i do  - but this matter im out of knowledge.

I cant find my terastation mit FW_Updater or NAS-navi to obtain a new Firmware on it .

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 10:51:08 AM »
Have you tried the tftp built in windows? If nothing is working then try this TFTP http://www.mediafire.com/download/t3y589uaitvplfb/TFTP_Boot_Recovery_TS-RIGL_1.20.exe

If that does not work. You can try making your unit a NAS TeraStation instead of a ISCSI Terastation

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9unzan60ogwugeu/TFTP_Boot_Recovery_TS-HGL_1.20.exe

Make sure you have no firewall on. If anything try in safe mode and other pcs. some pcs wont work, no idea why and how to tell if they will or wont.

magu81

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 07:41:35 AM »
Yesterday i ve tried it under Linux with TFTP and dhcp -- and this was the first time my station received the 192.168.11.150 IP-Address.

so i pluged in another Windows Pc and searched the Station again - with same results -- nothing found. I still can ping the Station but i'm unable to to anything else with it.

I havent tried your choices with the other Updaters yet - are you sure that TFTP would work with different initrd's !?

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
OOOO so my bad lol saw one post and posted info about another unit here instead of yours. If you ran it, it should not work. So the TS-IXL doesnt have a tftp. :/ but the TS-XL does http://www.mediafire.com/download/493444d2qys7ugd/TFTP_Boot_Recovery_TS-XL_1.00.exe

There the same unit with different OS. I did not see no difference when looking at the boards or setup in the unit. If you can ping it i would assume that means your pc is on the same subnet as the unit. Did you try safemode with networking?

magu81

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 02:09:04 AM »
yes... i already tried all thinkable constellations - with the same result.
It can't be !

if i tried a TFTP on a wrt54gl  to geht an openWRT or DD-Wrt  on it it will STILL work with no Problems still at the first run --- but if i try the same on an Bufallo Terastation(s) it wont work !

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 10:36:04 AM »
If you located is San Antonio, Texas I can see if i can take a look and see what i can do but if not then trial and error or... find someone who has a image of the TS-IXL or TS-XL  to recover your unit

If anything call buffalo techsupport and see if you can send your unit in to get re-imaged. I dont think they offer that service but you never know. or Maybe they can make you a image with one of there TS. Just have to have a tech that knows how to do that

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 11:57:32 AM »
I have an image for this unit if you are still having issues. And FYI: this is an iSCSI only device so it will never be visible in the NAS Navigator!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!