Author Topic: HS-DH500GL -- Can I upgrade the hard drive?  (Read 15237 times)

hockeyfrank26

• Calf
HS-DH500GL -- Can I upgrade the hard drive?
« on: May 18, 2009, 08:58:49 PM »

I received a HS-DH500GL from a friend and he had removed the hard drive (had all of his backups on it)

I have a 1TB hard drive that I put in it, but when I start up the device it just beeps at me.  6 flashes on the Error LED on the front.

Help?  How do I get this thing in working order?

Thanks!!!  

hockeyfrank26

• Calf
Re: HS-DH500GL -- Can I upgrade the hard drive?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »
   Can someone please answer this question?  This thing is useless to me right now :)

kitoog

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:55:08 PM »

just follow the TFTP guide in the sticky at the top of the page. the box will already be in EM mode so just follow all the instructions. the TFTP will put some files on your harddisk which will then allow the linkstation to be found when updating the firmware. use the correct firmware for the ls-gl obviously.

best of luck

say170

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »
   I read on another forum (not difficult to find) that you need to clone the boot partition first.  I haven't tried it myself so can't swear to this...

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »

Yes you can definiely upgrade the harddrive to a bigger capacity in the Linkstation Live.

I've done it before. Upgraded my HS-DH320GL to a 1tb harddisk.

Only thing is that you have to copy the tftp boot files into the latest firmware folder (after downloading & extracting the firmware).

Mkae sure your comnputer's IP is 192.169.11.1 when connected by lan cable to the Linkstation Live. 

Press the rest button behind the Linkstation Live then press the power button, while holding onto the rest button.

It will play a short melody, then let go off the rest button.

Run the tftp boot file.

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 09:50:03 PM »

Sorry. Typed too fast.

Mkae sure your comnputer's IP is 192.169.11.1 when connected by lan cable to the Linkstation Live

is

Make sure your computer's IP is 192.168.11.1 when connected by lan cable to the Linkstation Live.

My bad...

boogaloo

• Calf

I know this is an old post, but as time moves on it will probably become more relevant.  I just upgraded by Linkstation HS-DH500GL to a 2Tb hard drive.  I used the Western Digital Caviar Green (Model WD20EARS) - it's quieter and uses less power!

This was the process:

1) Download "Hirens Boot CD"

2) As this is a ZIPped file you need to extract the .ISO file (in XP/Vista/Windows 7 just double click the downloaded zip)

3) Burn this to a CD - (if you are not sure how, download CDBurnerXP)

4) Once you have these files, remove the hard drive from the Linkstation.  There are two screws on the bottom, and one at the back to remove the cover.  Then there are 5 screws to remove the caddy from the rest of the system (two on the side, two on the top, and one through the fan.)  Then remove the old drive from the caddy (6 screws - four on the bottom and two on the side).

5) You now have your old drive, and the new 2Tb.  So connect these to SATA cables on your PC.  If in any doubt disconnect other drives, but leave a CD or DVD drive connected, so you can boot from it.

6) Insert the Hirens Boot CD you created earlier and boot onto it.

7) From the initial menu choose Mini Linux

8) From the Applications Menu, Choose Partitioning Tools, and select G4L (Ghost 4 Linux)

9) Select RAW mode, select source drive (obviously the smallest), select the target (obviously the largest), the click clone - now wait (about 2 hours).

10) Reboot the PC when finished, and boot back onto the Hirens Boot CD, and Mini Linux.

11) Now choose gParted from the same menu.

12) Resize the Extended Partition, then resize the XFS partition in there.  Apply and wait (about 10 minutes).

13) Put the new disk back in the caddy. Screw it all back together, and enjoy the 1.5Tb of extra space! :smileyvery-happy:

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 11:42:37 PM »

Unscrew side casing, then unscrew metal plates, disconnect SATA hdd, remove SATA hdd frm metal plate, install new bigger capacity hdd, screw back to metal plate, connect back SATA cables, screw metal plate to casing, screw back side casing, power up by pressing RESET button behind, change computer IP address to 192.168.11.1, tun tftpboot.exe, wait for transfer to be accepted, after accepted, wait for abt 2mins. Run lsupdater.exe to determine IP adddress of Linkstation then change computer's IP to match linkstation's IP range, run lsipdater.exe again to Update firmware.

After abt 5-7mins, you will be able to see your linkstation on NAS Navigator.

nevwdr

• Calf

boogaloo wrote:

I know this is an old post, but as time moves on it will probably become more relevant.  I just upgraded by Linkstation HS-DH500GL to a 2Tb hard drive.  I used the Western Digital Caviar Green (Model WD20EARS) - it's quieter and uses less power!

This was the process:

1) Download "Hirens Boot CD"

2) As this is a ZIPped file you need to extract the .ISO file (in XP/Vista/Windows 7 just double click the downloaded zip)

3) Burn this to a CD - (if you are not sure how, download CDBurnerXP)

4) Once you have these files, remove the hard drive from the Linkstation.  There are two screws on the bottom, and one at the back to remove the cover.  Then there are 5 screws to remove the caddy from the rest of the system (two on the side, two on the top, and one through the fan.)  Then remove the old drive from the caddy (6 screws - four on the bottom and two on the side).

5) You now have your old drive, and the new 2Tb.  So connect these to SATA cables on your PC.  If in any doubt disconnect other drives, but leave a CD or DVD drive connected, so you can boot from it.

6) Insert the Hirens Boot CD you created earlier and boot onto it.

7) From the initial menu choose Mini Linux

8) From the Applications Menu, Choose Partitioning Tools, and select G4L (Ghost 4 Linux)

9) Select RAW mode, select source drive (obviously the smallest), select the target (obviously the largest), the click clone - now wait (about 2 hours).

10) Reboot the PC when finished, and boot back onto the Hirens Boot CD, and Mini Linux.

11) Now choose gParted from the same menu.

12) Resize the Extended Partition, then resize the XFS partition in there.  Apply and wait (about 10 minutes).

13) Put the new disk back in the caddy. Screw it all back together, and enjoy the 1.5Tb of extra space! :smileyvery-happy:

Hi how you getting on with the WD20EAR drive, I am considering using one to upgrade my HS-DH320GL. have you had good results with your upgrade?

spicefly

• Calf

Hi,

I just upgraded my HS-DH500GL but chose the Samsung F4 rather than the EARS as I had concerns about the Load Cycle Count bug.

It seems to be working fine and I've written a blog on the steps I took on my site www.spicefly.com hopefully it will help some people.

Its certainly extended the life of my Buffalo :smileyhappy: