Author Topic: linkstation pro duo - reset password? - force firmware doesn't work  (Read 8365 times)

mtedde

• Calf

Hi all,

I have a Linkstation pro duo ls-wtgl/r1, firmware 3.07

Somehow last week all the users couldn't access theier shares anymore. Also admin account doesn't work, for both folder browsing and also settings changing via web browser.

I tried to reset the admin passw (unit off, func button for 6 seconds, unit on...as described in other posts). Didn't work. I do not remember if I set the unit to keep the password in case of reset. Both my password and the default one ("passord", without "" ) don't work.

I tried the FORCE update, but it keeps asking for admin passorwd.

Please help!

Thank you in advance

Marco

mtedde

• Calf

Anyone please, no ideas?

I have a backup of the data in the LinkStation, so if I have to, I could erasing everything but how to do that? Anyway, I would really prefere just be able to reset admin password.

Thank you

Marco

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Unfortunatley if the reset didn't work then our only option is to try to prvoke EM mode.  Boot up the unit, 20 seconds later unplug it.  Repeat this process 3-5 times.  It should then boot into EM mode, then you can force flash the firmware with the "rebuild partition table" option checked.

mtedde

• Calf

Thank you. How do I verify that the unit actually is in EM mode?

Also I read in the "force firmware update procedure" that when forcing the firmware it shouldn't ask for admin password...can you confirm?

Marco

PCPiranha

• Big Bull

It will still ask for a username and password, but it wont if it is in EM mode.

You can verify it's in EM mode through the NASNavigator.  It will have EM in the hostname and will show dashes (--) for the firmware

mtedde

• Calf

I tried the procedure described in "FAQ (1 of 3): EM Mode boot procedures (please read this)" (the one for my unit:Pro Duo (LS-WTGL)). I get the blinking blue light, but after it gets green, the unit shows up in the NAS navigator in normal mode. Now I cannot access web admin anymore: last week I could see the webadmin interface, but it kept saying that the password was wrong, now the browser is "unable to establish a connection".

You suggested to boot in EM mode with a different procedure, are they equivalent?

thank you

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
There is a difference between engineering mode and emergancy mode.  In order to boot it into emergancy mode you must do the proceedure that I listed above (booting the unit on and shutting it off after 20 seconds).

buscha

• Calf
   I'm in a worse boat but i am following similar paths to the original author.  A few days ago my duo just stopped working, and wouldn't turn off.  And also wouldn't respond to web admin connections.  I performed a tftp boot and firmware update and now my web interface is in Japanese and all my files are gone...  Could I have performed the wrong firmware update?  I used the 3.09 for my duo as it has two usb ports.  How can a firmware update lose data?  It apparently lost everything, but it's puzzling as to why it was in raid mirror mode 500g and now it's in japanese raid1 1000g mode.  Is there a way to recover from this?  First i have to remember the default password, since my original one didn't work.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull

No, you didn't download the wrong firmware.

Try following these steps to change the device back to English:

1. Connect to the web configuration utility by entering the TeraStation's IP address in a web browser.
2. In the column of blue items on the left hand side, select the second link.
3. Under the first header are two text fields; enter or modify the text in the second.
4. Under the third header, the first entry is a radio selection with two options; select the one on the right.
5. Under the fourth header (with two menu/pulldown boxes beneath it),set both menu boxes to the second entry in the list (the second menubox should say cp437).
6. Click the button, and close and reopen the browser.

If this does not fix the problem, try to reflash the firmware.If possible, it would be wise to backup any important data in case thefirmware update fails due to a power outage or other anomaly. If youhave the latest version already, you will need to force the firmwareupdate. To do this, after unzipping the files, create a shortcut to the.exe file. Then, go to the properties of the shortcut and add a spaceand /force to the very end of the target.

buscha

• Calf

sorry about not checking the board earlier for the japanese fix.  With your and many posts about this subject, it is now english.  And the default password for the LS PRO DUO is password.  The drive is now an empty RAID 0, when it was working fine in RAID 1.  I'm of course disapointed at the RAID 1 reliabilty.  Seems, i could have had 500gb more space to use in RAID0, if when it crashes it loses both drives anyway.  I may try an XFS unformatter to see if i can find the unbackedup data on either drive before (if) i decide to reuse, i can't image it failing and performing a full erase and format in the time that it was down. 

If anyone has tried to recover from a LS-WTGL/R1-V3 , i'll report and share the experience i have.  First i'll try just sticking the SATA's in an exclosure booting to linux and trying to look at the raw data, i need to recover just a few text files and this way might work.  But for the other missing binary files i didn't backup, i'll be using http://foremost.sourceforge.net/ , wish me luck.

Jason

• El Toro
Re: linkstation pro duo - reset password? - force firmware doesn't work
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 01:46:35 PM »
You can also try UFS Explorer, lots of users report sucess with that.

socalsek

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 05:22:49 PM »

How do I tell if it's EM Mode?  I have tried your suggestion of plugging and unplugging but I can't tell if it's doing anything.  For a brief moment the red and blue lights appear but it instantly goes to green and starts booting normally.  Should I have the drive plugged directly into the drive?  This is a nightmare.  I don't even care about the data at this point.  I just want it to work.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 05:40:55 PM »

It would say EM in the hostname.  Also it wouldnt display a firmware version in the NASNAVI

buscha

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 10:15:11 AM »

Try the tftp boot, that pretty much cleanses every thing on the pro duo and gets it to work, you will have to undo the default japanese language after this though.  It will take an hour to figure everything out and get the right network settings but it should do it.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 03:02:31 PM »

buscha- that is true if you do a force firmware update and check the option to "rebuild partition table"