Author Topic: WMA won't read all of a sudden  (Read 2274 times)

garciara

• Calf
WMA won't read all of a sudden
« on: May 09, 2009, 04:24:22 PM »

I ripped literally dozens of CDs to a terastation HS-DHTGL/R5 sw rev: 2.14 using mostly a Windows Vista and Windows Media Player. Everything went well for about 3 or 4 months. Now nothing will read the WMA files. There were a few ripped in MP3 format and those are alright.

Is there any way to tell what could have happened to the files? Is it possible there is an authentication issue or lic issue. The PC that ripped the CDs is on online and connected.

This is very disappointing investing all that time and now the files are not readable.

Thanks,

Ramon

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: WMA won't read all of a sudden
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 03:42:31 AM »
If you can copy a file from the NAS to your computer and run it and the same issue is occurring then the NAS wouldn't be to blame.  The NAS is responsible for recording data not decoding it (that's the media player realm). Hope this is enough info and post back as to what happens.

garciara

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:57:48 AM »
   Copied a typical wma file that I had tried playing from the nas on to the desktop. The issue is the same. It appears all the wma files were corrupted in some way.

garciara

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 09:52:57 AM »

more data...

Just realized I ripped 80% of my albums with a another drive and therefore I have a 'backup' or copy. I tried some of those and they play. This other drive is not a fancy raid drive.

Looking at the time stamp on the files, it appears that something happened on 3/22 at 11 am. All of the files that won't play have been 'touched' in this time frame.  

To me, this seems something that the drive did to the files. I can send in some files for evaluation if it helps.

In the mean time I do not trust the NAS until this issue is understood.