Author Topic: LinkStation Pro LS-500GL Just Beeps At Me  (Read 17791 times)

mikep1975

• Calf
LinkStation Pro LS-500GL Just Beeps At Me
« on: October 23, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »

I turn the device on and after several seconds it starts beeping, alternating at a steady pace between two different tones.  At the same time, the error light will flash 6 times then pause.  If I hold in the power button, the beeping stops but the error light still repeatedly does the 6 flashes.  If I let it sit long enough, all of the lights go off except the error, which now flashes 4 times.  It's also beeping continuously, but just one tone now instead of two.

I looked in the knowledge base and found error codes, but nothing was listed for 6 flashes of all the same length.  Any ideas on the problem?  This is a brand new drive, trying to get set up for the first time.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: LinkStation Pro LS-500GL Just Beeps At Me
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:10:08 AM »
What happens when you boot the device up into EM mode (powering up the unit with the init button in)?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 11:16:16 AM »
   6 flashing LED's usually indicates a HDD failure as far as im aware, i dont think there is anything you are doing to be able to do.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mikep1975

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 08:31:19 AM »

When you say init button, do you mean the reset button?  If that's the case, then it does exactly the same thing when holding the reset button as when booting up normally.  If there is a separate init button, where is it? :smileyhappy:

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 03:24:01 PM »

That is the same button, seems like you are experiencing a disk failure.  If the unit is still in warranty then please set up an RMA, if not you can swap the drive out.

Any SATA 7200 RPM drive will work.  To install it use a Fat32 File system and let the  pro format it.    

pmalam

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 12:02:45 PM »

Hi Paul,

Could you please expand on the method of installing a new HDD.

The method I have previously used to put a new HDD into a Linkstation Pro is to clone the two hidden data partitions create the third hidden swap partition and then create the final user partition in the remaining space.  This is a bit of a bind and also requires having a spare unit so having an easier way to do this would be great.

I have tried configuring the new disk as a MBR disk with a single FAT32 partition (not easy on a Win PC with a 500GB partition :-) but this can be set on a Mac.  Setting the disk to this structure mode no difference to the Linkstation Pro's behaviour. (six flashed of Err LED and two tone alarm for some time and then four flashes of Err LED and single tone alarm and then shuts down when silenced).

Here's hoping you can save me a 100 mile round trip to get a spare LS Pro I can clone. 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 09:21:45 AM »

Just put in the drive, then run the TFTP software

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=881&query.id=26577#M881

Message Edited by Paul on 11-04-2008 09:22 AM

pmalam

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 01:10:15 PM »

Excellent :smileyvery-happy:

The procedure works. A few tips to smooth the path for those needing to do this.

TFTP software is just a boot server so this allows the Linkstation Pro to boot up without the HDD it doesn't actually fix it.

From what I can make out TFTP REQUIRES the computer to have to have the IP address of 192.168.11.1/24

Once the LS is booted use the firmware update utility to restore it. 

The LS must be on the same network (i.e. 192.168.11.x) as the update utility for the update to work (it will find it but not update it).

The debug menu can be enabled by adding the following two lines to the .ini file:

[special flags]

debug = 1

This can then be used to configure the IP address as required (or you can use NasNavi :smileywink:)

When the LS is finally working again login to the web interface (the address can be found with NasNavi) and check the language is set correctly. There are threads to explain this better if my brief explanation is inadequate.

When logged in select (click) the second menu item on the left

On the screen that now comes up scroll to the bottom and you should have a pull down menu that say Japanese

Use this menu to select your language and then hit the grey button below it to apply the changes.

Note: my browser does not refresh the page properly so hit refresh a few times to get the page displayed in your language.

pmalam

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 01:15:33 PM »

Ohh forgot to add,

You don't need to hold the init button in to get the unit to boot into EM (emergency mode?)

Just start the Linkstation with the Boot server running; the LS should find it and boot from it. A few messages should appear in the server window to show it is sending boot data to the LS.

mc_wardy

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 03:25:03 PM »

Hi Paul (or anyone)l, I'm having the same issue with my LS-500GL.  Paul you mention any SATA drive will do, please confirm does it have to be a 500GB?  Or can I test the solution with a smaller 250GB drive I have lying around or even eventually stick a 750gb or 1TB drive in?

Cheers

Message Edited by mc_wardy on 11-27-2008 03:35 PM
Message Edited by mc_wardy on 11-27-2008 03:36 PM

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 10:08:20 AM »
You would have no issues using either of the sizes you listed.

jgranato

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »

A key note in the upgade of my LS-500GL was to be sure to create a FAT32 partition on the new drive before trying to update the firmware.  This has been mentioned in prior posts, but is easy to miss.

Best regards,

Jack

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 01:43:23 PM »
The size of the drive will not matter until you attempt to reach over 1TB

bakter

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 12:00:02 PM »

Hello!

I Get Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-250GL from the friend (couple years old LS- no warranty) and the HDD was broken. I changed for the new 500GB.

Now I have inside 500GB with FAT32 on it and when I tried to turn on then the power led is blinking for a while and then red error light starts with loud sound.

I tried to put LS to EM mode and opened up the TFTP Boot window but nothing happens.

Can anyone help me pleas with detail guide?

bakter

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »

Have you changed your computer IP address to 192.168.11.1 then connect by lan cable to the Linkstation?

Then power up the LS by pressing the Power button and the rest button together.

Run TFTPboot.

After abt 10-20 secs, it should show two lines, one after the other.

Wait for the PWR LED to stop blinking then run the Nas navigator to see if you can detect the LS.

IF can detect, check the IP then run the firmware update.