Author Topic: Can't access NAS (HD-H0.6TGL/R5)  (Read 2478 times)

geopeterwc

• Calf
Can't access NAS (HD-H0.6TGL/R5)
« on: June 29, 2010, 01:51:25 PM »

I recently acquired this older Terastation - the original owner had removed all four drives. I installed four 250gb drives (I know the original configuration had four 160gb drives) that had been working in a different Terastation (HD-H1.0TGL/R5). I naively expected the NAS to recognize the drives (installed in the same order as they had been in the other NAS), but such was not the case.

The spinning disk lights on the NAS continue for several minutes and when the spin stops, the DIAG light blinks six times followed by a pause and then repeats. The cooling fan also stops running at this point.  The four disk lights stay on steady. I am unable to access the drive either by the web interface, nor does the Firmware Updater see the NAS. I am unable to ping the device (192.168.11.150) after pressing the INIT button on the rear of the box.

I've placed the NAS into EM. There's no sound heard, but the DIAG and POWER lights blink in unison. Only two of the disk lights illuminate (Disks 1 and 2 ... IDE drive/cable problem?). I am still unable to ping the NAS, and Force Update of the firmware doesn't work. I'm using a notebook (192.168.11.100) connected to the NAS via a X-Over cable.

Any suggestions for recovery or is this device bricked beyond recovery? There's no data on the drives worthy of recovery, so all options are open to me.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

/Pete./

Gary_Will

• Calf
Re: Can't access NAS (HD-H0.6TGL/R5)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 09:01:40 AM »

I would suggest trying the TFTP procedure listed in the forums. Just click storage, and it will be "faq 3 of 4." It has worked for me in the past.

geopeterwc

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »

Thanks, Gary. I can do that.

The closest TFTP boot recovery file is for the "HS-DHTGL-R5"  My NAS is the "HD-HTGL/R5" ... or maybe that should be read from the FTP site as "HS or HD" HTGL/R5, and is for either HS or HD NAS? (since "/" isn't allowed in filenames, the "-" is substituted)

Just a nit, or maybe I'm just being to literal ... but if there's hope for recovery, I sure don't want to ensure that I turn this for certain into a brick! :-)

/Pete./

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:03:16 AM »

There is no TFTP available for that specific model of Terastation.  If the unit is discoverable on the network, even w/o any information on the disks or the main board, you may be able to perform a forced firmware update to the unit.

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:34:34 PM »
are you able to get in touch with the owner? borrow just one of his 160gb, use acronis and clone the entire 160gb to your 250gb. once finished, continue cloning the rest of your 250gb hdds. put back the hdds and you shld be able to detect the NAS after it fully booted up. but, sad to say it could also be a main board problem if the cloning doesn't work...

geopeterwc

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 01:01:02 AM »

Thanks, tanjil ...

You said: borrow just one of his 160gb,

I only wish that it would have been so simple! The original drives were removed, proported for security reasons, and destroyed. Then he turned around and sold me the empty box :smileysad: and I naievely thought I'd be able to flash the NAS with current firmware and make it go. I fear that I'm out the $$ - I should'a known better (but then, I've done dumber things and regretted the decision later).

/Pete./

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 11:25:41 PM »
Hey no worries...I've been sucker-punched before! anyway, I've a few sets here and will try to find a solution soon and email you once anything comes up positive. Can't wait to make all these babies working again!