Author Topic: Fall back from RAID 1 to RAID 0 without losing data?  (Read 1610 times)

pwright2

• Calf
Fall back from RAID 1 to RAID 0 without losing data?
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:02:46 PM »
1) A few years back when I got my 2TB Linkstation Duo LS-WX2.OTL/R1 Firmware version 1.37, I set it up as RAID 1.  After all, who could possibly fill a terabyte and redundancy is a good thing.  Now I find that ripping movies and downloading OS ISOs can indeed fill much of that space.  So I would like to recover the storage space and have a 2TB drive.  But, can I do so without fearing that I will lose the files already stored there? What would be the proper procedure?

2) Searching the forum for applicable info, I found messages where users reported Duos with higher firmware versions than my 1.37.  The support site, however, reports no uploads available for this model.  Is the firmware upgradeable?  If so, how do I do that?

-----Paul-----

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Re: Fall back from RAID 1 to RAID 0 without losing data?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »
I recommend backuping your data to a usb drive that is 2TB or more and upgrading the unit to 2x3tb.. Might be able to do 2x4TB. You can download the firmware from here. Just run LSUpdater and select the unit and update.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/home-and-small-office/linkstation-duo

go to downloads tab and look for firmware for windows if your on a windows pc, if mac then get mac
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people