Author Topic: Buffalo Terrastation won't delete files  (Read 6022 times)

nobby911

• Calf
Buffalo Terrastation won't delete files
« on: May 06, 2009, 06:39:46 PM »

Hi, my Buffalo Terrastation won't delete files, i am trying to delete some old backup folders & files but it won't let me delete some files and some folders say can't delete because folders not empty or in use etc etc. Anyone got any ideas

Thanks

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Buffalo Terrastation won't delete files
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:13:53 PM »
Per the forum guidelines may I request your model and firmware version?

nobby911

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 05:42:06 PM »

Sorry, new to this.

The Model and Firmwareversion is TS-HTGL/R5 F/W 1.33

Thanks

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 12:33:47 PM »

THX, so let's try.

Is it on the internal drive or external?

If external: If the USB drive is on FAT32 it is ro over network, do it on PC

If internal: Sometimes the machine messes with the permission rights. Create a new folder in web interface. Test it, copy files into it and delete it. If it works now copy the content to the new folder. (If not you have a firmware problem, overwritr the fw) Just spare the stuff you don't want and delete the old folder via web interface. If the amount is very large split the copy job to several with about 1000s files and folders each. Done.

Message Edited by disputator on 05-10-2009 07:36 PM

nobby911

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »

Hi

I created a new folder in the same share folder and had the same problems with some files not deleting. I then created a new shared folder and all appears to be fine with this one but only time will tell i am trying to either move or delete a total of 688GB.

On that not can someone tell me is this likley to happen again to the new folder and why does it take so long to delete files. OH, yes nearly forgot it is the internal drive i don't use an external one, I have 2 terrastations one for files and one i back up to its the backup one i am having the problems with. Keep thinking of more questions, If i delete the old share will it completeley erase the files and folder properties etc because if it does i can then rename the new share to the original name and not have to recreate all the mapped drives, backup jobs etc etc.

Message Edited by nobby911 on 05-10-2009 07:04 PM

tallnate

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 11:02:13 PM »

HELP - I am about to throw my TeraStation Pro II (6.0 terabyte TS-HTGL/R5) out onto the driveway and run it over with my truck.

I have finally gotten it to copy files at more than 1 KB/minute... maybe only started to work due to my new router, but it still will rarely let me delete a folder or move a file or folder into another folder on the TeraStation.  After dragging a large file or folder in the Finder, the OS pops up the dialog box "Finder wants to make changes.  Type your password to allow this." - but neither my administrator username/password nor my TeraStation admin user and password are accepted.

If I try to delete files or folders on the TeraStation, it shows a progress bar for the deletion and then nothing happens for hours.  Can't cancel the deletion attempt either - have to reboot the MacBook Pro.

I had the thought that the permissions on the TeraStation could be screwed up, but Disk Utility can't see the NAS drive and I can't figure out how else to repair permissions through the network.

This comment from Disputator - how do you "create a new folder in web interface" - when I log into the IP address of the TeraStation, there are many menu items on the left but I don't see any screen that allows creation of specific folders (other than shares) or movement of files or folders on the NAS.  ???

Sorry, kind of a newb relative to having a NAS, but this thing is killing me.  Would really appreciate some instructions here!

OS X Lion 10.7.4 (and previous versions)

MacBook Pro, mid-2009, 8 GB RAM

TeraStation formatted as RAID 10 for 3 TB capacity, firmware updated to 1.35