Author Topic: LinkStation LS220D not booting, 7 red lights after HDD change.  (Read 17734 times)

qlulp

• Calf
LinkStation LS220D not booting, 7 red lights after HDD change.
« on: November 08, 2014, 07:24:49 PM »
Heey!
I bought this a LinkStation LS220D 6TB yesterday and used it for few hours before I changed the hard drive to 2x1TB WD green. Unfortunately I wasnt aware that the device's boot image is stored in the harddrive and I formatted both 3TB harddrive that was originally installed. After new hdd installation the device started to blink 7 red lights upon start after few seconds (with or without harddrives).

After approximately 10 hours of research and testing I am exhausted and seeking help here. Eventho it seems pointless because I've tried everything.

The two 1TB WD hard drives I installed was formatted NTFS at first but then I took them out and deleted all partitions and kept both unformatted. I tried pressing the function button while it's off and booting.. tried pressing after it was booting. I tried connecting it to the pc, changed the lan ip to 192.168.11.1 (and subnetmask to 255.255.255.0) and running old TFTP boot recovery I found, after downloading the latest firmware from buffalo's website for my device and replacing initrd.buffalo & uImage.buffalo and renaming them.

Even tried unpacking them with winrar with password (1NIf_2yUOlRDpYZUVNqboRpMBoZwT4PzoUvOPUp6l
) and running TFTP boot.. request are being accepted and both files seems to be sent to the device (...Blocks Served) but nothing happens afterwards and I have to hard shutdown.

NASNavigator2 can't find the device nor LSUpdated (even with .ini modified to debug 1).

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Regards
Qlulp

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Re: LinkStation LS220D not booting, 7 red lights after HDD change.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
The LS200 and LS400 Series cannot be used with TFTP. Get the drives make sure the Unallocated, For the heck of it. Format them to NTFS and delete the partition which will make the unallocated. Next insert the disk when you unit switch is set to off. Now switch to on and the power light will turn on. Once the Function light turns on hit the function button in the back, The function button will start to flash. Over a perid of 10mins things will happen. Eventually the unit should come up. Takes 15mins some times.

Refer to following document - http://manual.buffalo.jp/buf-doc/35020400-01.pdf
I know its for the LS220DE, The LS220D and LS220DE are the same unit. One is sold with drives and the other isnt.

If you still having issues try this http://manual.buffalo.jp/buf-doc/35012071-02.pdf
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

MatteSix

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »
Hello. I have the same problem here, it was cheaper to buy the 6tb 220 when I needed some new hdd for my terra station so I bought two of this model. But I thougt I would put some smaller older hdd and use them in the 220 chassi. But just as you describe I can`t get it to work.

I have tryed everithing joma90 suggested but still nothing that helped in my case. Have you found any other solution?

Hope you understand my bad English...

Regards Matte.

shaz1975

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 07:13:43 AM »
I have the same issue. Updated firmware to v1.61, but still have the same issue when new HDDS are installed, the device light flashes red. Any help would be appreciated.

shaz1975

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 09:37:26 AM »
Ive managed to get this working. You will need the original HDDs though.
Insert one of the original HDDs, and one of the replacements, the linkstation will then register the broken array. Simply delete it and format the new HDD. Then turn the unti off, and replace the 2nd drive and do the same thing again. You can then create a new RAID array as needed.

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »
^ that would only work if you havent format the drives already which most people probably do. I would assume people already have when they post as well.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

thecosmicfrog

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 06:28:56 AM »
Apologies for the bump. Figured it was important to let the OP now about how to fix this. You can indeed TFTP Boot the device into EM Mode and I wrote a guide on how to do this:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=22781.0