Author Topic: LinkStation 420 won't start after installing new hard drive  (Read 4689 times)

Wingtse

• Calf
LinkStation 420 won't start after installing new hard drive
« on: October 31, 2014, 09:46:15 AM »
I have just installed 2 new harddrive to my LinkStation 420 to upgrade it to a 2x3TB.
However when i turn it on, the white power led will blink for a short while then the red led will keeps blinking.  And I am not able to see the NAS in my network.
I tried to press the function button, then the white power led will just keeps on blinking forever.

Anyone have any idea what I can do?

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Re: LinkStation 420 won't start after installing new hard drive
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 02:02:03 PM »
Go here ---> http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=20473.msg78704#new ... same problem but theres a solution.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

bally

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:34:19 AM »
is the unit enclosure or with disks

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:35:45 AM »
Bally i hate to ask this but do you ever read before you post? Enclosure is just another word for a case. So all linkstations are enclosures. He also states that they installed 2 new disk..

I blame my self for this one. There is a much simpler way. Its easier to get the older disk you took out and insert one of them. Then add a new disk. Format the disk in the unit. Power down the unit. Add second new disk. Format that disk and then build the raid array. Thats if you still have the older disk and you haven't wiped them yet. Power down the unit. Then power it up. When the red light turns on. Press the function button. Wait for 10mins and see what happens. Your unit should come up.

bally

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:29:09 PM »
if the unit is enclosure, he will need just to press the function button for half second and the firmware will install. if it is not enclosure it is a different story

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
Linkstation 420 is not a diskless enclosure. It comes with 2 disk installed, the disk were to small so he upgraded them to bigger disk. I know what you mean when you say it but 50% of people wont know what you mean. That is the 421e. Totaly different unit. He replaced the 2 old disk with 2 disk new without the knowing that the OS was on the disk. Since you can treat the 420 kind of like a 421e. The function button should work but it has also failed at times.If not he has to use the old disk to format the new disk. Buffalo made this unit to have the feature to get rid of the tftp and for update stuff.