Author Topic: WebAccess not working for Terastation  (Read 13382 times)

drubinoff

• Calf
WebAccess not working for Terastation
« on: October 19, 2014, 10:13:01 PM »
Hi,

I have set up my Terastation 3400D to have WebAccess. I have followed the instructions in the manual. When I'm on a computer already logged into my network, I can go to www.buffalonas.com, enter my BuffaloNAS.com name, and it will open up the web user interface and I can log in and see my files (in the shared folder) in the web browser. So, that's working.

However: for a computer outside my office not logged into my network, it doesn't work. My employee this evening tried to use BuffaloNAS.com from home, and she emailed me the following:

I cannot get past the "connect" step. I keep getting sent to "page cannot be displayed" or "webpage not available". I have tried on Chrome and Internet Explorer... I am not sure where there may be an issue.

I tried myself logging in to BuffaloNAS.com using my iPhone browser. It works when I'm on my WIFI, but not when I'm using cellular data. Also, I tried using the WebAccess i app on my iphone, and the same thing: it works when I'm on my office WIFI network, but not when I'm off it and using cellular data. Iphone Safari just says, "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding."  WebAccess i just spins and spins indefinitely.

Now, I've seen a lot of posts on these boards about this issue. I've tried to sort through them, and there seems to be a lot of talk about IP addresses and ports. Well, that's all really above my head. I'm just a guy running a small business without an IT department. I need...please...someone to walk me through what I should be doing. Perhaps it's an issue with my Netgear router? Do I need to set something up on the router setup under Port Forwarding / Port Triggering? What do I need to know about IP addresses and ports?

Thanks,
Derek

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Re: WebAccess not working for Terastation
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:28:46 AM »
I will try to make this as easy as possible. First i recommend setting a static ip on the linkstation. So there will be no issues in the feature.

Next, You need to port forward if UPNP isnt working. You need to log in to the unit. Go the Webaccess setting, disable upnp, setup the ports. Usually you can put 9000 for the external and internal, this issue here is if the port forwarding setting in your router will like that. Once you linkstation is setup. Go to your router login, go to your port forward settings. Add a custom rule or whatever it is called in your router. set external port to 9000 and internal port to 9000. Some have external port start and external port end. If your router has that then type 9000 in both and then set ip of the linkstation. Once that is done. Go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and type your port in there. If everything went well this will tell you it can see it. If not, you need to find out if you have a gateway. Its a modem/router. If so you need to do port forwarding there as well. You will have to port forward the routers ip and port 9000.. and hopefully this works. Having 2 firewalls can be pain if you dont know how to do it.

If you dont think you can do this. Let me know I dont mind showing you. Just send me a message. As this requires me to see your screen. Dont want to discuss that in post LOL
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:31:34 AM by joma90 »
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

drubinoff

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »
I will try to make this as easy as possible. First i recommend setting a static ip on the linkstation. So there will be no issues in the feature.

Next, You need to port forward if UPNP isnt working. You need to log in to the unit. Go the Webaccess setting, disable upnp, setup the ports. Usually you can put 9000 for the external and internal, this issue here is if the port forwarding setting in your router will like that. Once you linkstation is setup. Go to your router login, go to your port forward settings. Add a custom rule or whatever it is called in your router. set external port to 9000 and internal port to 9000. Some have external port start and external port end. If your router has that then type 9000 in both and then set ip of the linkstation. Once that is done. Go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and type your port in there. If everything went well this will tell you it can see it. If not, you need to find out if you have a gateway. Its a modem/router. If so you need to do port forwarding there as well. You will have to port forward the routers ip and port 9000.. and hopefully this works. Having 2 firewalls can be pain if you dont know how to do it.

If you dont think you can do this. Let me know I dont mind showing you. Just send me a message. As this requires me to see your screen. Dont want to discuss that in post LOL

Thanks very much. I just looked at this on my way out but it looks like it's above my head. I have to leave; can I do this remotely? Probably not. I appreciate your offer to do a GoToMeeting. I may drop you a note when I return. I appreciate your response.

Best,
Derek

phcaptjim

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 07:54:08 PM »
I have a different issue.

Everything is setup and was working fine for a long period of time until FIOS reset my IP address yesterday and now I can't access the drive using BuffaloNas.com.

If I type in the physical IP with port 9000 like this: 111.11.11.11:9000 I can use webaccess just fine, the problem is BuffaloNas is not resolving to my new IP address from FIOS, it's still using the old one.  is there a way to reset that so it uses my new IP address?

Thanks!

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:40:25 AM »
You can use Nas Navigator to set the Nas back to DHCP. You can download this on the buffalotech.com site.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people