Author Topic: LinkStation Stalls when I start 2nd file copy  (Read 8763 times)

micklec

• Calf
Re: LinkStation Stalls when I start 2nd file copy
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 06:21:31 am »

I've spend a good amount of time over the weekend, trying to work this out. 

I found the latest update 1.11 and installed this. Unfortunately the release notes in the download are not readable even in notepad, so I can't tell if there is a fix included that is designed to address this stalling/freezing issue.

Anyway, following the update, there was still no obvious change in behaviour.   

Further things I've tried. 

- I have tried disabling everything I can think of (media server, bittorrent, even NTP!). Each time I disabled something I restarted the server just to be sure.  

- Connecting directly to the unit (1Gbps connection confirmed on my laptop), so eliminating the possibility that the router is to blame.

Each time, same problem; trying to access or copy a large file results in regular stalling, and it's impossible to perform more than one large file operation at a time.  

I am running the box with RAID 5 configuration, so I'm starting to wonder if this is actually the problem - is this software RAID, not hardware??

I'm going to try different frame sizes now, but am running out of options....

I will also calling UK support this week and will keep you all posted on my progress.

Chris 

JasonCollins

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 08:30:52 am »

Here is an idea.  Suppose I took three of the disks and put them in a RAID5 configuration.  Then did media serving off of the 4th drive.  Then I could backup to the RAID5, but media serve off of the 4th disk.  I will try this, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts on if this might work. 

In theory, if the problem is slow RAID, then the backup would cause stalling, but it's done in the background anyway and at a time when I'm not trying to share files, get photos or watch movies.  Of course I've turned my 4TB into 1TB, but if it's not usable any other way...

JasonCollins

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 09:22:12 am »
   OK, so I just tried it and there is no way to setup some disks in RAID and leave other disks separate.  When I don't have all the disks checked to add to the array, the go button is greyed out.  Oh well...  This is messed up!

Humorme2003

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 10:04:16 am »
   Jason try Raid 1 instead of Raid 5.  Yeah, you will only have 1 Terabyte for backup and 2 to serve from but it should work to test the theory.  I would do it myself but I have over 700 gigs on mine and I don't want to wait a whole weekend putting it back on there.

JasonCollins

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 10:58:16 pm »

So, I tried Raid 1 it doesn't work.  Then I said I'd just blow away RAID altogether -- just go for 4x1TB disks.  Guess what?!?  It still stalls.  As an example, it copies just fine for one minute or two and then just stops... for a while...  then restarts.  7500 files totalling 17.1GB and it has taken 6 hours so far because of this problem.  This is really not good!

I think maybe if you only do one or two files at a time you don't notice.  The problem is that I use Adobe Photoshop elements and it gives you a preview of all of your pictures.  The program hangs because it tries to read a lot of files and the LinkStation stalls.  Now I'm at a loss.  My major reason for buying this was to store my photos for working with and sharing and it doesn't do that well.

Anyone reading this thread, do not buy this product unless there is a fix for this problem!

Humorme2003

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 09:58:25 am »

Wow Jason that is the same thing I bought it for!!!  Yeah it will not work well it photoshop elements.  It doesn't work well with anything on that note.  If you want to transfer stuff faster use RichCopy 4.0.  Modify the settings so you only use one data stream at a time.  That seemed to work the best for me.  It still stalls but not nearly as much.

I use my server for serving my pictures and media and have acronis back it up to the quad once a week.  It still isn't where I want to be, but we are being ignored.  They say they vigorously test this thing how could they not notice this problem?

JasonCollins

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 12:29:04 pm »

Of course it's hard to really tell if this is what I'm seeing, but I believe that because of this, copying less data can take longer.  As an example, copying a lot of MP3's (less data) takes much longer than copying the same amount of data but fewer files (like my pictures).  Is anyone reading this who has developer access and looking into the problem (Hello?) that might help troubleshoot?

Summary: It seems that the reading files is way better now (actually usable) that I turned off RAID completely.  Turning RAID on is a disaster, Turning RAID off is a write disaster and reading isn't great, but it's usable.

Another solution I guess would be to take the drives out and use them in another NAS from another company.  I'm considering that, but it means spending another hundred bucks or so.

-Jason

elektroorganik

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 04:48:27 am »

I have a LS Live and i can't even copy an mp3 to it without it dropping out! You think you guys have problems. I guess I only wasted £100 reather than what you paid for the 4Tb storage device though...

Humorme2003

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 02:02:28 pm »
   Does anyone knowof any third party firmware that will work on the Quad? 

tsammyc

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 07:32:48 am »

Hi all, I seem to have no problems streaming hi-def files from my Linkstation Quad to my PC. I'm not using DLNA. Just playing the files off the Quad with Windows Media Player. The Quad doesn't hang up like you guys describe and the blue lights never go off and I've played 1hr long files. Perhaps one of you can replicate my setup to try:

Linkstation Quad Firmware V1.11

Two 1TB WD Caviar Green running in Raid 1. Two empty slots

Shuttle PC with 3.0Ghz P4, 1GB RAM and ATI Radeon 2400 video card, 100Mbit/s Ethernet card

Buffalo HIgh Power Wireless-N Router (It is Gigabit, but my client is only 100Mbit/s)

Jumbo frames NOT set.

Windows Media Player with Cyberlink H.264 Codec

MPEG files downloaded from a HDV camcoarder 1080i resolution H.264 encoded

Windows XP

Using the System Monitor, I see a steady 25Mbits/s from the Quad to my PC.

Humorme2003

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 10:40:32 am »

Linkstation Quad Firmware V1.11

Where can I get this firmware since I don't see it in the download section.  Or is it just a typing mistake?  I currently am running V1.10, and I can try to recreate your setup but I really want to use all 4 of my hard drives.  Not to mention I have over 1 GB of data stored on it at the moment that will take an entire weekend to transfer it back.

tsammyc

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 10:01:17 pm »

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads/

You might try switching to the European site.

firewyre

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 07:04:02 pm »

I'd love to know why the contents of http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads/ are different from http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/...  Why would anyone maintain two separate codebases for what is essentially the same site?!?

Humorme2003

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 08:38:51 pm »

That version of the firmware did not help me either.  Still the same symptoms.

Humorme2003

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 09:00:10 pm »

I thought I would come back after all this time and see if anyone found a fix for this?  I still use the thing but only as a backup solution or to store a quick file or two.