Author Topic: Webaccess Permission Issues with Linkstation LS-CHL 1 TB  (Read 14222 times)

prycej

• Calf
Re: Webaccess Permission Issues with Linkstation LS-CHL 1 TB
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 05:46:05 AM »
   Still the same as past webaccess is working fine externally but only anonymously. The first time you connect you only get the linkstation header banner hit refresh and everything pops up fine. Still get the repeated prompts if I move on to \login though.

willygee

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 12:43:04 PM »
   changed a setting on my wireless router for PPPoE (for dsl) as I thought I may have some port forwarding issues due to that.  It allowed the LS to enable UPnP and I tried again but still no go.

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 12:57:55 PM »

willgee so whats your problem exactly is it the same as mine eg access works but only when using anonymous permissions? 

willygee

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 06:13:45 PM »

maybe worse than you - I cannot even get anonymous to work remotely... i have tried several different configurations (anonymous, inherited, turn off SSL, etc) and none of them seem to even want to connect from a remote perspective.  I can only get web access when I try through my internal network but thats not exactly the point.  was wondering if it was my router FW but i dont think that is it as I have ssh server that works just fine.

BTW, does anyone know if the LS can host an SSH server?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 08:56:40 PM »

willygee, if it works locally, then the Linkstation is functioning correctly. You may have two routers in a line, what we call "Double-NATing". Check the WAN side ip of your router. SSH is not an option that we support, and the standard statement applies: modification of the device's hardware or software will void your warranty.

prycej, this reminds me... does webaccess work locally for you? Access it by <http:// or https://><LAN ip address of Linkstation><colon>9000/, for example:

http://192.168.11.150:9000/ or for ssl, https://192.168.11.150:9000/

Message Edited by Colin137 on 05-19-2009 08:58 PM

willygee

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 11:37:31 PM »

colin, thanks for pointing that out.  i changed my dsl modem to "bridge" mode, wireless router to PPPoE, hoping this will disable the double NAT-ing (guessing you were suggesting this although i guess that wasn't totally clear).  UPnP no longer works though.

still cant get it to work for remote access (accessing via VPN out of home network, then back in).  local still works.  it seems when i hit the buffalonas site, it just hangs for a while then gives a connection error.  i figured what you said made sense in that port forwarding was somehow not working right but i think i have made the right changes and still no go.

if there are suggestions i would appreciate it. 

willygee

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 11:42:06 PM »
   also, would it make any difference if i changed the Network settings on my LS?  current default gateway set to wireless router, same with primary DNS, secondary DNS is blank.  should i input something there in secondary (btw, ip for ls is static).

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 04:33:57 PM »
Well, the buffalonas.com site merely redirects to http://publicIP:extportnumber/, so it's actually timing out when trying to access the Linkstation. Your Linkstation's settings seem correct. How do you have ports forwarded in your router?

willygee

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 05:11:47 PM »

port forward settings:

inbound port:25000 - 25000, Type: TCP, Private IP Addy: 192.168.1.10, Private Port: 9000 - 9000 

Thanks. 

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 04:17:23 AM »

Have you set up logging on the router eg do you see the re-direct from external re-directed?  

My problem for external access was my router and its inability to port forward properly (it forwarded on the same port you couldnt change it) so I had to change my external port to 9000 so it forwarded to the correct one.

willygee

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 02:20:46 PM »

ok so just wanted to share my findings:

prycej, I changed the port forward to 9000 and it worked.  The setup is with Inherited Permissions and SSL (although Chrome seems to want to reject).

So it appears that my router was having an issue port forwarding for some reason (I have the ability to assign both an external and private port but I guess my router was not translating correctly).

gonna mess with some additional settings and see what happens but appreciate the comments.

also, anyone know what the disadvantages of double-natting?  i think i read that it slows down connection speeds but I dont really see that now that I am not double NAT-ed.   port forwarding was workin for other applications so really wondering what i'm gaining (or losing).

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 02:53:58 PM »

prycej,

Am I to assume that you've gotten everything working once the port forwarding was set up? If so, I'm glad you got it working.

willygee,

I'm glad you got it working. Double-NATing can cause a lot of different issues. Latency and connection speed issues are commonplace, although they're somewhat hard to detect accurately. The big issues are problems port forwarding, and sometimes problems with secure sites like online banking and shopping.

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 03:02:40 AM »

Colin137,

I have got the external access working but the permissions still do not apply correctly. I can only get the device to work with anonymous permissions.  This isnt the end of the world but does mean I cant control what people do and dont see eg I either have the option to show something to everyone using anonymous or not show it at all.

Jon.

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »
You have to enable all the shares in the web access tab as "use all groups and users" then simply create the users and use any user you've created in that user/pass pompt that comes up after you type your buffalonas.com name

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 02:59:02 AM »

Jason I know its a long post thread but we've got the t-shirt on that one I am afraid:-

Have tried the webaccess folder with any three of the types of security, have tried with original accounts and accounts created myself.  Have tried with different permissions for both the original and new accounts.  Have updated the firmware.  You can then times the above by 2 as I have tried these with both HTTPS on and off (nothing works with HTTPS on).

Have also tried the above with simple and complex passwords.  The accounts always work as they should when mapping drives so I know they are ok and security works its simply looks like when I login to webaccess on /login its simply not doing anything OR not submitting the data. 

Thanks.