Author Topic: Webaccess Permission Issues with Linkstation LS-CHL 1 TB  (Read 14187 times)

prycej

• Calf
Webaccess Permission Issues with Linkstation LS-CHL 1 TB
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:32:31 AM »

I am having a problem with Webaccess to my linkstation.  Everything else is working eg Media Server, Access Control, Visibility on the network etc.  But web access is not happy.  If I try and access the external port through the buffalo nas portal it simply times out.  If I try and access it internally on the network (with port 9000) any folders I have allowed access to anonymously show up but any others with access control do not. If i try to login it simply keeps prompting me and prompting me for user and password (which I know work fine).

I could NOT set up the firewall automatically even though the route does support UPnP (netgear DGN2000).  I have configured external access and re-direction firewall rules to the linkstation on ports 9000 and 1066 (the external port I have configured).

Is there something obvious I have missed eg do I need to open more ports on router??

Hope someone can offer some advice. 

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Webaccess Permission Issues with Linkstation LS-CHL 1 TB
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »
Did you set the restricted folders to 'Use inherited folder permissions' in Web Access->Folder Setup?

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:04:52 AM »

I have tried using inherited permissions AND all groups and users the only one that seems to work "Anonymous".

If I map to the shared folders the accounts work and the access control is as expected.   Just dont get why this will not apply to the webaccess control.

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 06:57:06 AM »

Just an update have now got a seperate problem that if I add a new share you can see Disk 1.  The share I have then added only allows 4GB or so to be put in it and you can delete it.

This is exactly as per another stream...

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=9859&jump=true#M9859

Like them I have updated to the latest firmware version 1.07 and this has made no difference to the webaccess issue OR the new shared folder problems.

Anyone in Buffalo any clues ?? 

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:48:58 AM »

Some more info for investigation.  I have now expanded the firewall rules on the router to include ports 80, 443 and FTP.

FTP works perfectly from outside the network and as expected.

Now that 80 and 443 and I try to access the anonymously shared folders it simply sits and waits forever no error message.

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:04:03 AM »

Ignore the last comment I had stupidly set the external port to 9000 so it was getting confused.  As soon as I put it back to 1066 went back to the same problem of "broken link" from external.

I have opened the router to allow everything in terms of the firewall rules and it doesnt change anything.  

I currently have HTTPS turned off and two folders share one anonymously and one with group access.  If I browse internal on port 9000 I can see the anonymously share folder fine.  If I try to login "\login" I cant get authorised no matter which user I use.  From external I can still get and retrieve data over FTP but web access on port 1066 just gives me a "broken link".

Does anyone now the exact port numbers you need to add to your firewall for webaccess??  Have added 9000, 1066 (my manually configured external port), 80 and 443.  Also as above I have opened everything and it still does not work.

Thanks in advance.

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »

So far I didn't use https because it slows the connection down a bit but if your upload it that good- no issue. But lets make it clear. The only port forwarding for web Access you need is [myexternalport] to [IP of LS]:[9000]

My port forwarding is that I usually use from outside something higher than 20 000 (not so often scanned) port 80 on LS is for web interface, port 21 for FTP and to 9000 for web access. So far it works but I kept fw 1.04.

other questions: does the access with user work locally? How did you test access from outside?

Message Edited by disputator on 05-11-2009 11:01 PM

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 02:03:08 AM »

The firewall of the router does not allow me to specify a port number all I can do is forward anything coming in on an external port to the IP address of the LS.  I have reset the rule to use 25000 but this didnt make a difference.

Local Access does work if I use IP:9000 I can see the shares I have set with anonymous permissions but cant login to see the shares with inherited or group permissions (doesnt matter which I use just doesnt work) - even works with iPhone quite nicely.

I am using a mobile broadband from 3 to test the external connectivity.  I have proven FTP works but cannot get webaccess to work.  

When I access it from external I can see from the router logs that its re-directing the access but browser(google chrome) returns "link appears to be broken" 

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 05:59:32 AM »

I have now done a forced updated with the 4 config options.  Fought off the japanese language settings and this has resolved the problem of not being able to create new shares properly.

I have of course lost all data and settings.  So I created new share and two new users which I can map to successfully.  I enabled web access external port 1066 (linkstation still will not see UPnP router although everything else does) and I still have the same problem.  

Externally the link is timing out and internally it all works unless I hit the login button and enter user details which ALWAYS fails (with original or new users).

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 10:49:47 PM »

Either your ISP is blocking port 1066 or your firewall is misconfigured. The Web Access service ALWAYS runs on port 9000 on the Linkstation. The External Port setting merely reports that port to the buffalonas.com server for redirection.

When setting up port forwarding, the WAN or Internet side TCP port needs to be set to the External Port in the Web Access settings, the IP address needs to be set to the IP of the Linkstation, and the Local or LAN side port needs to be set to 9000:

[Internet] --> WAN TCP port "Web Access External Port" --> [Router] --> LAN TCP port 9000 --> IP address of LS --> [Linkstation]

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 03:25:44 AM »

Colin137,  I have a DGN200 Netgear route which doesnt allow you to port forward that specifically.  What it does is allow you to create a service (called mine LinkSys) and a port range 9000-9001 (with 9001 being the new external port).  I then set an inbound Firewall Rule redirecting any internet traffic on these ports through to the IP address of the LS.  What I cant do is set their destination port.

When I access the LS externally I can see the firewall rule fire and allow the traffic through.  But I still get a broken link.

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 03:31:27 AM »

Colin137,  I have just set my external port on the linksys to 9000.  My theory was that without a destination port specified the router is passing through on the same port (so its connecting to the linksys on whatever I say my external port is).

Sure enough when I try to connect now I get the webaccess bar at the top and the login link.  What I dont get is a view of the test HELLO folder I have shared anonymously.  If I click login it simply prompts me over and over not matter what account I use (this is just like it does internally and 2nd problem mentioned in this thread).

I can provide the link and the login for you to look but obviously not on the thread. 

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 03:50:34 AM »

Sorry for the blast of updates but have found something further.  When I created the Hello test folder I made it read only and disabled the access restrictions (trying to prevent anything stopping access).

However by re-enabling the access restriction the webaccess has jumped to life and I can now see the folder over the internet!! (so external access problem fixed).  That leaves the permissions problem as I still have to set Web Access to anonymous for this to work.  

So current state of play is:-

- With External Port Set to 9000 and Shared Folders with Access Restrictions ENABLED but with Web Access set to Anonymous I can browse the folder (read only) over the internet.

- If I change Web Access Security to anything other than Anonymous it does not allow access and continually prompts me for login which doesnt work with any user account. 

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 03:47:43 AM »

Still working as per previous post cant seem to get the login to work over webaccess.  The permissions and uses configured work fine over mapped drives and FTP (Eg you can only see and save where you are supposed to).  

But cannot login to webaccess with any account.  HTTPS is not enabled. 

willygee

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 12:13:24 AM »
   hi prycej... thanks for posting your updates.  i have been experiencing the same issues.  i'll post my updates as well and hopefully we can get this figured out.  a lot for non-straightforward than I anticipated :(