Author Topic: Web Access password  (Read 6328 times)

aerodynamic750

• Calf
Web Access password
« on: August 10, 2014, 08:53:10 AM »
Hi
This is my first post in the forum, hope someone will be able to advise me.
I've just set up web access on my Linkstation LS-CHL. However, I can't figure out how to prevent anyone else accessing the shared folder on it. I type in my buffalonas name and I have immediate access to the shared folder, which is brilliant. However, what's to stop anyone else doing the same if they know my buffalonas.com name? I can't figure out how to set up a password so only I can access it over the web.

I tried setting access restrictions for only me to have read & write access to the shared folder from within the NAS set up but that stops my automatic back up software from accessing the NAS to back up my files.

Does anyone have any suggestions please or am I doing something wrong?
Many thanks
Gaz

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Re: Web Access password
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 03:22:13 PM »
Well you can make 2 folders then, one for backups and the other for webaccess. Put permissions on the web access share and make sure you change the option to permissions in the web access tab for the folder, Then you will be set. Unless you backup software has a option to authenticated shares you will have to do this. When i say authenticated shares i mean shares that are username/password protected. Novastor has this feature, if you are using that as a back then i would ask Novastor, havent used that in years and i really dont want to install it.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people