Author Topic: Windows overwriting permissions on TeraStation shares  (Read 1429 times)

michaelce

• Calf
Windows overwriting permissions on TeraStation shares
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:25:50 PM »
I have a TeraStation 7120r (updated to the latest firmware, 2.40) that has been attached to our active directory for user management. The problem we are having is that these permissions from Windows overwrite the TeraStations XFS permissions on all files that are created, copied, moved or edited on the NAS from a domain account. This makes a lot of the file write protected for other users that have been granted access to the shares. Although users do not have write permissions on the files they can still go into the ownership and take over the files granting themselves access but taking it away from others. All files moved, copied and created are also being done so in a read only state.

Through some testing I have found that if we create a new share with no restriction and login to a local account of a computer on the domain that it will then be able to create, copy and move files to the NAS and still retain the correct XFS permissions that are administered by the NAS. Any domain account will override the permissions with Windows. Below is a screenshot of what I am experiencing:

I have call Buffalo and was told that it is most likely something in group policy that is causing this and was told we are better of using iSCSI (I would prefer to solve this problem rather than use more resources to do what it should already be capable of doing). Combing through our domain policies I have yet to find a solution to the problem and was hoping someone might have some insight to the problem I am facing.

Thanks,

-Michael