Author Topic: Can't Access LS-WXL29C Whilst Backing Up Files  (Read 3500 times)

steamship

• Calf
Can't Access LS-WXL29C Whilst Backing Up Files
« on: July 20, 2014, 05:33:01 PM »
Hi, A few months back, I purchased a LS-WXL29C with 2x3TB disks. I already have a LS-WVL08D with 2x4TB disks, which I find very reliable and fast enough for what I use it for.

I've migrated over 1TB of data to the LS-WXL29C and purchased a Seagate 3TB disk for backing up to (I already have 2 other 3TB drives I use for backing up the LS-WVL08D).

However, having set up a backup job for the new one and set it running, I can't get access to the admin section through the web page. I can ping it over wireless from my laptop and it averages 3ms response. I've never had this issue with the other model. I know this new one has a slighter slower processor, but it's a bit ridiculous that I can't even see how the backup is proceeding. I can't access it through Windows Explorer (Windows 8) either, so can't even check the backup log to see what it's doing.

Has anyone else experienced issues like this, or have any idea what is causing it?

UPDATE: I've managed to view the network share in Explorer, which took around 4 minutes. I can see that the backup log is still being updated, presumably meaning that it is still backing up files. This was a first time 'Normal' backup. Should it really take over 24 hours to backup 1TB of data?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:20:26 AM by steamship »

steamship

• Calf
Re: Can't Access LS-WXL29C Whilst Backing Up Files
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 05:54:56 AM »
So, another update. Backup job started at 09:37a.m. on 20th July 2014 (according to the filename backuplog_201407200937.TXT). It is now 11:49a.m. on 24th July 2014, which means it has been backing up for 4 continuous days. The NAS unit has just over 1TB of data and hasn't been accessed during that time. Have just downloaded the latest version of NAS Navigator and it shows the following:

HDD - 1,208 GB
USB - 578GB

which indicates that it is only half way through. This cannot be right, can it?

steamship

• Calf
Re: Can't Access LS-WXL29C Whilst Backing Up Files
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 01:37:27 PM »
Final update on this. Contacted Buffalo support here in the UK. Explained the problem and he basically implied that my external drive was at fault and that I should basically 'pull the plug' on the NAS to stop it. He wouldn't even entertain the prospect that the NAS might be at fault. Anyway, I pulled the plug on the external drive and also the NAS, and have copied all the files on the NAS back to the LS-WVL08D, which was already getting short on space. I've bought another different Buffalo NAS, and will be selling the LS-WXL29C once I get the new one up and running.