Author Topic: Terastation TS5200D Boot Fail  (Read 9700 times)

robertleeblairjr

• Calf
Terastation TS5200D Boot Fail
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:44:53 PM »
I need someone to provide me with the USB recovery image for a TS5200D. Any firmware version will suffice but, I currently have 2.60 installed. To be more specific, I would like to have a TS5200D bootable image that would put my NAS into EM Mode for me to upload a firmware file to the HDD boot drive. I have found a bootable image for the TS5400D but it upgrades the firmware to recognize it as a TS5400D. At that point, the NAS attempts to initialize HDD2 & HDD3. I would like to start anew with two blank HDDs. I've contacted Buffalo support and they were of no help. What a ridiculous support system that can't even provide basic firmware recovery images for their products. Once I recover this device; I will forgo purchasing another Buffalo product. Thanks for a reply from someone with the provided image file.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:23:09 AM by robertleeblairjr »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Terastation TS5200D Boot Fail
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »
Are you in the US or Europe?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »
Also, if the device is under warranty, we can likely replace it. That would be the normal path for an unbootable NAS. As you said, the bootable image isn't easily transferable.

Most of the 5000 series units out there should still be under warranty.

**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

robertleeblairjr

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 03:50:29 PM »
Are you in the US or Europe?
United States

robertleeblairjr

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 04:31:22 PM »
Also, if the device is under warranty, we can likely replace it. That would be the normal path for an unbootable NAS. As you said, the bootable image isn't easily transferable.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, there is not an excuse for Buffalo not providing a recovery image and method for the consumers of these devices. Had the hardware malfunctioned within the warranty period, then that would have satisfied my inquiry. Recovery methods for firmware of other networking devices have been used and provided for quite sometime. Buffalo provides a recovery image for their Windows Storage Rack mounts. I won't accept that this manufacturer could not have cost effectively provided this recovery image file to boot the device into EM or to TFTP the firmware image to a replacement drive in the NAS to their customers.

Net7

• Hating Disclaimers, and loving it.
  • Tatanka
  • NeverEnoughBacon
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 01:11:25 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. However, there is not an excuse for Buffalo not providing a recovery image and method for the consumers of these devices. Had the hardware malfunctioned within the warranty period, then that would have satisfied my inquiry. Recovery methods for firmware of other networking devices have been used and provided for quite sometime. Buffalo provides a recovery image for their Windows Storage Rack mounts. I won't accept that this manufacturer could not have cost effectively provided this recovery image file to boot the device into EM or to TFTP the firmware image to a replacement drive in the NAS to their customers.

??? your out of warranty? they have 3 year warranty's and the press release I found says May of 2012... you should still be in warranty!

If not, ill check, I have the boot images around here somewhere....

robertleeblairjr

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »

??? your out of warranty? they have 3 year warranty's and the press release I found says May of 2012... you should still be in warranty!

If not, ill check, I have the boot images around here somewhere....
No; I am not out of the warranty period. There is a point that I believe is relevant to this not being an issue which requires the end user to only have this means to a solution for a software problem. I could elaborate but I believe there is not a reason because the two people who have immediately responded to my request have only supplied that as a solution. If you have a recovery image that would boot the TS5200D into EM for firmware upload, then I would greatly appreciate you sharing it with me. You could use most any file upload site. Thanks for your help and reply.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 03:48:10 AM »
PM sent. Should sort you out.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

robertleeblairjr

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 09:24:15 AM »
Thanks, davo and Net7. I have not compared the differences between the two images but they both boot me to the Terastation console to log in to EM. Also, they both recognize the NAS as the TS5200D. I was able to initiate the firmware upload to the NAS and now have admin access through the firmwares configuration page which displays the correct model number. During the firmware update, there were errors for certain partitions not being updated because of not having root privileges. I was never able to log in to the console as root. Is there a default password that Buffalo uses for root access to all partitions? Are there particular flags or keywords which should be used with the firmware update executable or INI files. I've never changed/enabled root access or associated passwords with this NAS since owning it. I did purchase it slightly used from another individual who could have enabled and/or changed the password.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 06:56:44 AM »
Root access is blocked by default, other non official buffalo NAS forums should be able to help you with this.

BongoEADGC6

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 09:43:44 PM »
PM sent. Should sort you out.
CAn you send me these files as well?

Buffalo will not provide us the files to recover out TS5600d