Author Topic: Has Virtual Interface been deprecated (removed) in WZR-1750DHP & 600DHP2?  (Read 2858 times)

CheetahChrome

• Calf
The concept in previous Buffalo Tech routers (WHR-HP-G300H & WZR-HP-G300NH) whereby you use a hidden SSID to wireless bridge between routers and then use a Virtual Interface to create a public SSID for wireless device connection(s) seems to have disappeared from the latest round of products I recently purchased, Models WZR-1750DHP & 600DHP2. For example see Buffalo Tech YouTube video "Setup WDS Bridging on Buffalo AirStation Wireless Routers (DD-WRT)."

Is there any way to get this functionality in current models. I've connected the WZR- 600DHP2 to the WZR-1750DHP via 5G by using the method described in the Buffalo Tech YouTube video "Buffalo Airstation how to configure Wireless Bridge." Whereby the connecting bridge displays available wireless networks and the bridge connects via that interface to your router.

Is the virtual interfaces functionality somehow provided in the SSID 1 & 2 interface? I must say I don't understand the reasoning behind the SSID 1 & 2 interface. Seems like if the second SSID provided WPA2-PSK Authentication & AES Encryption a virtual interface like operation could be effected.

Previous Buffalo Tech routers (WHR-HP-G54) I had to set up a wireless "WirelessNetwork01," "WirelessNetwork02," etc. system and an individual had to switch between each "WirelessNetwork0(?)." Where with the virtual interfaces a device would just connect to the strongest "WirelessNetwork" signal with the same credentials seamlessly. I want that functionality back.

Am I missing something with the option that allows one to use the router's wireless SSID's on the connected bridge?

Please advise. Thanks.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Virtual SSID and wireless bridging is available on the newer units also, the terminology might be different since it is not DDWRT firmware.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

CheetahChrome

• Calf
I suspected that might be the case, but I cannot understand the application interface to achieve that usability.

The new method to bridge routers requires a public broadcast SSID to be selected from a list. Is there a way to type the hidden SSID one would configure in the master router? I have bridging working. So yes it works.

Plus exactly how is the virtual interface (publicly available SSID) created? There seems to be only one button to globally control the broadcast of the SSID for both the SSID's 1 & 2. I would like the SSID "Bridge" to not show up in a WiFi scan list, so the bridge gets dedicated bandwidth.

Seems odd to remove perfectly working functionality for the push-button interface, but I understand the reasoning to make configuration more intuitive. Although removing the slider switch for a push-button modal button on the WZR-600DHP2 is hardly intuitive.

Thanks again.