Author Topic: Spam on the boards - registration questions  (Read 22690 times)

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Spam on the boards - registration questions
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:33:17 PM »
Looks like people think you want to watch pirated TV shows and get lots of malware and viruses on your computer.

I'm trying to keep on top of it, I've made the registration questions somewhat tougher. At some point we might add some software to the forums to try to cut down on spam. I've read that the Captcha is totally defeated, so I've toned that down some, but there are replacements for it to try to catch some of the bots I might get added.

Thanks, all.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 05:44:41 PM by Eastmarch »
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: Spam on the boards
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 05:44:04 PM »
Someone finally programmed bots with answers to the questions. We'll see if these last at all.

Type in the square root of nine plus the square root of four (spell out the answer)? five
What is the fifth word in the following phrase : "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"? have
Type in eighteen minus the square root of forty-nine (spell out the answer)? eleven
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Spam on the boards - registration questions
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 11:22:35 AM »
Every registered member should now have the ability to report a post to a moderator.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: Spam on the boards - registration questions
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
I have installed ReCaptcha v2 for verification. If it fails to work, we are back to the maths.