Author Topic: Cannot get rid of Access Restrictions  (Read 2984 times)

wintensive

• Calf
Cannot get rid of Access Restrictions
« on: April 28, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »

I have repeatedly removed all mapped drives and rebooted all computers.  I have removed all access restrictions from all shares, deleted all users but the admin.  I have reinitialized this thing a few times as well.  But when I restart my computer, it asks for a password to see the root of the nas drive where all its shares are. 

The only password that works - one from a user that I already deleted and does not exist.  As I said, I even reinitialized the nas, and I'm sure that happenned because the IP was reset and so was the password. ...nothing but problems with this thing.

How can I get it to actually work with no user restrictions.

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: Cannot get rid of Access Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »
   Depending on the exact model, you might be able to do a force firmware update and delete all user configs that were previously created.  There should be a FAQ in here regarding doing a forcefirmware update.

wintensive

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:56:23 PM »

Model:  Linkstation Quad 2TB

I have upgraded to latest firmware already....do you mean redo the firmware update because it will re-rerase it again, even though its the same version.

Firmware is: 1.05

Thansk for your help.

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:49:55 AM »

On Vista and sometimes even on XP my LS Quad does as well. "admin" and the password works for using the shares but it is not as it should be. you can map it with admin and the pw even if there is no restriction. Could work. I never bothered, I just type it if I need to.

For Vista you have this Security Level Changer on CD. Could help as well.

wintensive

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:52:50 AM »

The problem is more than just having to type in passwords.  Because of the way this thing is hung up on some imaginary access restrictions is causing problems with soem of our network aware apps to not work because of the restrictions on shares.

I reall would just like to completely remove all access restrictions whatsoever.  Since trying this I have been unable to regardless of removing shares, disconnecting mapped drives, deleting access restrictions and so on.  They keep coming back, even when I reinitialize the box.  This NAS has wasted hours of my time.  

I do appreciate your assistance.

I don't understand why no one from Buffalo has even responded....

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:44:37 PM »

So let's try. When you said reset, did you just press the button or did you open the web GUI and go to Maintenance - Initialisation? If not please do it.

++Pressing the button resets the IP settings and the admin password if you didn't exclude it in the settings. That's all.++

Did you have the problems with the previous firmware? All your clients are XP, Vista, Mac?  May I ask what software has problems? Backup or such?

I'll look a little into it and see what I can find.

anonymons

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:50:06 PM »
   I have simillar issues with our Vista and Xp machines. I have no problem on the osx machine. My theroy is that some how the unix file permissions/ownership is confusing the Vista and xp machines. I tried the initalization thing and it did not work. I was going to try to chmod the files from the mac and see what happens.

wintensive

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »

reinitialized from within the maintenance section of gui.

All systems are XP Pro

Never tried with old firmware. I upgradd right when I got it so that everything I did was with new firmware.

This is now affecting only one system on the network.  I has setup one user with a password and one share with access restriction and set the user I created to have full access.  

I have removed all access restrictions and reinitialized.  The most infuriating thing is that the password box comes up when I try to access ANOTHER share....one that never had access restrictions in the first place.  I just want all access restrictions to go away....forever.