Author Topic: Confimation for web access (plus admin and bittorrent access) for LS-CHL  (Read 3117 times)

witm

• Calf

Hi, 

I've just bought a Buffalo Linkstation LS-CHL and would like to confirm somethings:

FOR EXAMPLE My LAN IP of linkstation is: 192.168.2.3
FOR EXAMPLE My WAN IP of linkstation is: 82.212.215.88

If I want web access to my shares I should forward port 9000 in my router and set a random WAN external port (ie 40123) and THIS IS INDEED PASSWORD PROTECTED
   From within LAN - 192.168.2.3:9000
   From external WAN - 82.212.215.88:40123

If I want administrative access I should forward port 80 in my router and set a random WAN external port (ie 30012) and THIS IS NOT PASSWORD PROTECTED
   From within LAN - 192.168.2.3:80
   From external WAN - 82.212.215.88:30012
 If I want access to the bittorrent download manager I should forward port 8080 in my router and set a random WAN external port (ie 20095) and THIS IS NOT PASSWORD PROTECTED
   From within LAN - 192.168.2.3:8080
   From external WAN - 82.212.215.88:20095

Can anyone confirm all this is correct?

Thanks
Ali 

Jotin

• Big Bull
It all seems to be correct as long as you have the auto configure firewall disabled in the web access setup with a specific port specified.

witm

• Calf

Thanks for the confirmation.

* As it stands only the Web Access (via www.buffalonas.com) is secured by a password.

* Remote admin access and remote bittorrent access is NOT secure; anyone with the WAN IP address and correct port number can access through the internet.

Do you know if this will be addressed anytime soon in a firmware update? 

Jotin

• Big Bull

The only password that would protect the admin page would be the admin log in. Since forwarding both of these options for remote access is not supported at this time I am not sure if it will be addressed in the future. It is a possibility though.

witm

• Calf

So...just to confirm:

Remote access to the shared folders (www.buffalonas.com) is secured via the local User/Group permissions for the shared folders which can also be set on these folders for web access.

Remote access to the admin page is secured via the admin log in (defaults - admin : password).

Remote access to the download manager (BitTorrent) is not secure in any way.

Many thanks for your input. I am happy to set the Web Access and access the Admin page remotely but I may not set the download manager for remote access.

Message Edited by witm on 04-28-2009 05:30 PM

Colin137

• Big Bull

witm wrote:

So...just to confirm:

Remote access to the shared folders (www.buffalonas.com) is secured via the local User/Group permissions for the shared folders which can also be set on these folders for web access.

Remote access to the admin page is secured via the admin log in (defaults - admin : password).

Remote access to the download manager (BitTorrent) is not secure in any way.

Many thanks for your input. I am happy to set the Web Access and access the Admin page remotely but I may not set the download manager for remote access.

Message Edited by witm on 04-28-2009 05:30 PM

This is correct.