Author Topic: Linkstation Live - E16 error  (Read 5458 times)

scissorkicks

• Calf
Linkstation Live - E16 error
« on: April 23, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »

Hi all,

New here, and having a problem with my Linkstation Live (first hardware revision I believe - it's about 18 months old).  I came home to find it beeping, and on a restart I'm getting the E16 error (one long flash followed by six short ones on the red error light) which indicates the unit can't find the HD.

I've pulled out the HD and hooked it up to a computer running an Ubuntu Live CD and the data, at least on first glance, is still there.  I've tried putting the LSL into EM mode (holding reset on boot) and scanning with NasNavi, but no joy.

I'm going to try to get a copy of what data I can find off there, but wondering if anyone has any ideas about getting the LSL working again?

Thanks in advance!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Live - E16 error
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 03:51:56 PM »
Try a TFTP boot with a force firmware update. Post back your results and let us know what happens :)

scissorkicks

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 05:07:13 PM »

Hi - thanks for the help.  I ran the TFTP boot, and that enabled NasNavi to be able to see the LSL.  I went through the steps for the force update, and the update gives me the following warning :

Couldn't confirm that a partition exists on the TARGET.  Updater will format the TARGET and will update the TARGET.

***All of data will be lost***

Do you want to format and update the TARGET? Yes/No

Naturally, as I think there's data on there that I want to rescue, I picked no :)

As I mentioned before, when using an Ubuntu Live CD, I was able to see the disk structure, and most of the data appeared to be there - although the folder containing my video appeared empty.  I'm going to try to recover data, but is there any way to rebuild the partition in a way that the Linkstation can understand without formatting?

scissorkicks

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:44:34 AM »
   I've tried reading the disk using Slax and Ubuntu now, and despite showing the three volumes you'd expect, it won't mount at all.  Looks like the TFTP process may have been the last nail in the coffin for my data :(

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 04:38:57 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that. I would just like to post here that the NAS is definitely not the last place where your data should be backed up. I'm not saying our products don't work I'm saying that like all moving things (HDDs, engines, [insert engineered item here]) they will eventually fail. Don't suspect that RAID5 is going to save everything. If a HDD is lost you will see a 90% chance of recovering your data. If you lose 2 HDDs then those chances fall to about 10%. If all but one HDD is lost your chances fall from slim to nil. Always have another backup handy just in case (DVD archive for incredibly important data and USB/NAS devices for frequently updated data).

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 02:44:40 PM »

scissorkicks wrote:
   I've tried reading the disk using Slax and Ubuntu now, and despite showing the three volumes you'd expect, it won't mount at all.  Looks like the TFTP process may have been the last nail in the coffin for my data :(

That... shouldn't have happened. The TFTP Boot procedure doesn't touch the hard drive... the firmware update would, but only if you clicked "yes" on the format screen... sorry for your troubles.

scissorkicks

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 05:45:29 PM »

No, I didn't format it.  Perhaps the disk has just degraded further since I first mounted it in Ubuntu - depressing, if I'd had a portable drive with me at work, I could have salvaged everything from the (seemingly) intact file system.

As it stands, Raise Data Recovery has found a bunch of data, but no idea what condition it is in and I'm not sure if I want to pay to find out.  Ah well.

If I buy a new 3.5" SATA HD can I put it into the LSL, and run the firmware update, giving me a functioning NAS again?  Does it need to be a specific kind of disc?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 06:27:47 PM »

Maybe you didn't unmount it after working with it under Ubuntu... kind of a moot point now, unfortunately.

As long as it's a 7200 RPM SATA drive of 1.0 TB or less, it should work fine. It may work with a 1.5 TB drive, but as we haven't released that model with 1.5 TB, there's no way to be sure.

You'll need to do the TFTP boot to get it to a point where you can update the firmware. I recommend doing a force update with all four Config options checked in the Debug menu. This will erase all data, obviously.