Author Topic: Problems accessing Linkstation Mini  (Read 5369 times)

Brobin

• Calf
Problems accessing Linkstation Mini
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:33:05 AM »

Hi,

I took delivery of a new linkstation mini 1TB yesterday & so far I am making very little progress in getting it set up on my network.

I have reset the unit to RAID 1 but now I can not access it other than through Web Admin.

When I try I get the error message:

"coul not open the shared folder"

When I look at the unit via Web Admin I can see that the default shared folder is missing with only "Info" showing.

I have tried initializing the unit but that makes no difference.

My firmware is 1.06

Anyone had a similar experience?

Bill

disputator

• Buffalo
Re: Problems accessing Linkstation Mini
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 03:20:21 AM »

Yes, I did. Before I change the Raid a message pops up that all data will be erased after changing the RAID. Astonishing - every time I changed the RAID exactely that happened! (of course even the default share is no exception, it seems everything includes the default share....)

Why do you not just open the shared folders, Shared Folder Setup and create the folders you want? And if you already linked the "share" just recreate this folder. I'm quite optimistic everything will be fine once you did.

Brobin

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 01:47:13 PM »
   Hi, Thanks for the reply - Unfortunatley I have tried that & it - No effect - Still can't access the drive - Contacted UK Buffalo support - They had me rebuild the RAID - This did not work either! So far I have a £300 door stop which if I don't get sorted soon is going to be sent back as it is driving me mad!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
Which OS are you running and by which method are you accessing the LinkStation hostname or IP address? (ex. \\NAS_name or \\IP_Address)

Brobin

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »

OS = XP Professional

Access through web manager is by ip address

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 05:20:42 PM »
Yes for the web manager but how are you accessing your files? Sorry I wasn't specific. :(

Brobin

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 02:24:55 AM »
   That is just it - I am not accessing my files - I can not get into the linkstation & I can not see it on my machine as a drive

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 06:53:26 PM »

So lets summarise: You still have access via http://[IP]; you dont via \\[ip]\info in Windows explorer right?

Rebuilding the Raid requires to delete the RAID first. When the Raid is deleted you could use the single drives without RAID. (Creating a folder on disk1 or disk2) Afterwars you CREATE a RAID. Rebuilding would implicate that a HDD failed. Creating takes a while and after creating the RAID the unit is doing a RAID check. TAkes a while and the unit is slow plus changes are not permitted. So after creating the RAID, please wait until the the RAID check is done. (Reboot does not interupt it, it causes a restart from scratch of the RAID check and by the way after deleting the RAID there is no RAID check) The RAID check could take some hours and the statusshould be visible in the web interface. What happens, if you create a folder now?

Seeing the network share on you computer as a drive is another problem. For start please disconnect the existing Linkstation drive and always open the Windows explorer and use \\[IP], if that works- right click and connect it.

If something does not work (according your previous post- creating the folder) please do not hesitate to tell us how you did it and what happened and what error message. That could be helpful sometimes.

Brobin

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 02:38:05 AM »
   Ok this is where I have got to: RAID has been rebuilt & the check has run - App 2 hours for it to complete. I can now see the drive with the computer that is attached to the network via eathernet & I can save data to it. I have set up the printserver with the correct driver but it won't print. If I want to see the drive from the rest of the network do I have to instal the Navigator software on each machine?

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 04:38:06 AM »

Brobin wrote:
Ok this is where I have got to: RAID has been rebuilt & the check has run - App 2 hours for it to complete. I can now see the drive with the computer that is attached to the network via eathernet & I can save data to it. I have set up the printserver with the correct driver but it won't print. If I want to see the drive from the rest of the network do I have to instal the Navigator software on each machine?

So one problem solved.

Printer: I think somewhere here is a how to for that. Short Version- right click, connect, when you asked for the driver click have a disc, navigate to the folder where the driver is, continue and finish the installation. This has to be done on each client you want to use the printer with.

Using network shares on other machines: Install the NAS NAvi is the easy way. Otherwise open the windows explorer and type  \\[IP of LS]\[share name] each time or set up network drive letters on all machines. For sporadic use- first methode, for frequent usage drive letters.

Brobin

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 04:47:16 AM »

Hi Disputator,

Thanks for all your help.

I seem to be going 3 steps forward & 2 steps back with this piece of kit!

I can now access the drive, but try as I might I can not get it to act as a print server.

The machine says that the printer is installed & ready & yet it will just not print.

I have deleted the printer & re installed it trying every way I can think of & still no joy.

The printer is an OKI C5800 which comes up under the list of print drivers - I end up with under printers & faxes:

lp on LS-WSGL434

And it says it is ready

yet every time I try to print it just won't do it!

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 02:39:37 AM »

Hi, here is the guide.

http://www.buffalotech.com/knowledgebase/users/kb.php?id=10231&category_id=0&sid2=

If you ever installed another printer connected to the LS it is necessary to wipe the driver from the system. *not only delete the printer

And by the way 3 minus 2 makes one step forward ;-)

Brobin

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 04:20:59 AM »

OK tried all that and it did not work!

Contacted Buffalo support who tell me that the printer has to support postscript to work.

Contacted OKI support who tell me that the printer does not support postscript & that it is GDI only!

So is that it am I totally stuck, or does anyone on this forum know a way to work round this?

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 05:27:13 AM »
   For GDI printers the driver has to be installed directly on the host device because the GDI printer uses the resources of the host (CPU power mainly) And in this case it is not going to work (unfortunately) because you can not innstall the driver on the LinkStation. Matrix printers what not depend on the host intelligence will work. It is as it is and the world is seldom as you want it to be.

Brobin

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 05:47:05 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for that - is that the case with all NAS devices, or is it just the Buffalo - ie could i buy a different device that will work with my printer?