Author Topic: Buffalo LS-XL LinkStation Live 2TB - TFTP Failure.  (Read 3483 times)

wzaatar

• Calf
Buffalo LS-XL LinkStation Live 2TB - TFTP Failure.
« on: April 11, 2014, 01:41:38 PM »
Good afternoon, everyone.

I own a LS-XL 2.0TB that recently experienced an HDD crash. I replace the HDD with another 1.0TB and tried to boot it, which obviously didn't work since the firmware resides on the HDD itself.

I scanned the forum, tried the TFP procedure describe with the two version (LS-XL 1.00 and the Kirkwood variant). Although the unit does pull the two .buffalo files from the TFTP, one of the two scenarios happen:

- If I put the Kirkwood files, the unit goes into an endless (reboot-get from tftp-reboot) loop, as if the files are not suitable for the unit.
- If I put the LS-XL files, the unit appears to load the firmware but doesn't seem to do anything else afterwards. The blue light keeps flashing rapidly. I tried to reboot it a couple times or waiting a couple hours, nothing seems to happen.

I evidently have a bad set a of files here... Would any good soul who went successfully through the process with a LS-XL device kindly point me to the right direction?

Sidenote: Buffalotech support is responsive but not helpful. They don't have any TFTP files or official process to recover the unit. They point you to the forum or ask you to replace the unit. Will think twice with my next purchase before buying Buffalo...

Net7

• Hating Disclaimers, and loving it.
  • Tatanka
  • NeverEnoughBacon
Re: Buffalo LS-XL LinkStation Live 2TB - TFTP Failure.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:05:23 PM »
Uhhh.... last time I looked, the LS-XL units didnt have a function button to actually DO the TFTP boot procedure....

You sure this is an LS-XL unit or just a different model LinkStation Live (2 different generations, but different model #'s) series unit?

If you can, post a picture of the label on the bottom/back/side of the unit where it lists the full model #, you might just be using the wrong TFTP boot procedure...

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Re: Buffalo LS-XL LinkStation Live 2TB - TFTP Failure.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 05:41:12 AM »
First of all you cant blame buffalo for directing you to the forums as the tftp guide is there or EVEN offering a RMA if you clearly opened the unit and change the drive which voids the warranty if you read the manual -_-... dont blame buffalo for your mistakes... You should think twice before asking for help and then calling out on a company.

Also remember this Buffalo didnt make the TFTPs... excatly... a certain group did (not saying) and buffalo then wrote a better guide. They dont support it since they didnt make it.. thats why its on the forums. This is also why they offer a RMA for your unit which is something you should do if your dont know what your doing. Makes your life easier... but hey its your choice.

Now to help you ... try another computer... your unit requires the kirkwood tftp... where did you get the kirkwood tftp? made be its a bad download. Have you try to run your pc in safe mode with networking? Did you follow the TFTP guide exactly and make sure your ip is 192.168.11.X ?????? is your firewall off on your pc? is your antivirus off on your pc????

Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people