Author Topic: Linkstation LS420D: shares disappear from network during heavy disk activity  (Read 7490 times)

windracer

I have a new LS420D that keeps dropping it's network connection during heavy disk activity. I tried sending an e-mail to Buffalo tech support and haven't received any sort of reply in 3 days. I had a 1TB Linkstation Live for years (and the old 250gb one before that!) and never had a problems with them but I am about to return the LS420 and look elsewhere if I can't resolve this. What good is a NAS if it "crashes" any time you try to copy a file to it?

Setup:
- LS420D, 6TB model in RAID-1 configuration running latest 1.31 firmware, static IP address
- Ubuntu 13.10 Linux server, with Linkstation share mounted under /mnt
- Windows 7 PC, with Linkstation share mapped as drive letter
- everything connected via gigabit switches

Problem:
- when copying files from the Windows PC to the NAS, the copy may fail in the middle and share is unavailable in Windows
- sometimes when this happens, the NAS is still accessible via web interface; toggling SMB on and off seems to fix the problem, but it could happen again during the next copy
- other times, the white LED on the front of the NAS is flashing, indicating a system reboot? (NAS not accessible via web or pingable)
- copying to/from the Linux server seems more stable, i.e., the loss of mount points happens much less often

I've tried toggling between SMB and SMB2 on the NAS, but haven't seen a noticeable difference in stability during copy operations. I've also run RAID and disk checks without any error (at least, the web interface doesn't report anything). It's very frustrating that the NAS cannot be relied upon.

Is there any way I can access the internal logs of the Linkstation to see what's happening? Any suggestions before I dump this and look for something else? I've been really satisfied with Buffalo equipment in the past (I've owned multiple wireless routers and Linkstations) and I'd hate to have to go through another multi-terrabyte copy to a new device, but I will if I can't get this one to work properly. I've also been having issues with the bittorrent client so I'm thinking there's got to be something wrong with this unit.

windracer

Does anyone from Buffalo monitor these forums? I have yet to receive a reply to this post or my support request which I opened 5 days ago (other than the boilerplate "We received your inquiry and will be in touch" auto-reply).

windracer

Ok, so I'm returning the LS420 and getting a Synology instead. I've been a happy Buffalo customer going back to 2006 (owned multiple NASes and routers) and have never had problems like this PLUS received no contact from tech support. Disappointed, but moving on ...

Net7

• Hating Disclaimers, and loving it.
  • Tatanka
  • NeverEnoughBacon
Ok, so I'm returning the LS420 and getting a Synology instead. I've been a happy Buffalo customer going back to 2006 (owned multiple NASes and routers) and have never had problems like this PLUS received no contact from tech support. Disappointed, but moving on ...

Weird, Glad my LS421DE (near identical, just w/o drives + USB3.0 port) doesnt have these issues...

As for the support, you do know they have a 24/7 phone support line?

The company is probably following others these days in consolidating call/eMail support to a single team to save money, well, that's what I imagine with the wait times I have had on occasion when I call in for support, they probably never get to eMails... Sad situation Customer Support is these days! ($$$)

entro

• Calf
I am having a similar issue - the LS420D resets its IP address to the default - I can power down - and then power up and the DHCP server sets the IP correctly - this is getting to be an issue - this happened prior to the update - so I did the firmware update to 1.31 and the issue still exist.

I have verified that the configuration of the DHCP request is correct in the NAS and the configuration of the DHCP server is correct - based on the MAC of the NAS.

There are no other devices that are having issues with the DHCP server so it appears to be an issue with the NAS -
To determine if the IP address has reset I use the NAS Navigator - this tells me that it cannot fix the IP address and then displays the "default".

TVX

• Calf
I'm not sure if the LS420D and the LS410D are on the same platform, but it sounds like a similar problem as described in this thread:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=22684.0

No answers yet there either.