Author Topic: HD-H1.0TGL/R5 drive replacement  (Read 3471 times)

wingrider

• Calf
HD-H1.0TGL/R5 drive replacement
« on: March 24, 2014, 01:29:03 PM »
First off - LOVE IT - solid, reliable and works great. Customer for life for sure!

My question is about replacing the drives - if I want to replace all 4 drives, what is the largest size drive that is supported? Also from looking at the manual, looks like the drives have to be PATA as there is no SATA available - is that correct?

Thanks for great products!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: HD-H1.0TGL/R5 drive replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:01:58 PM »
Supported upto 6TB but I've successfully installed 8TB into mine, they are SATA, not IDE btw.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:02:27 AM by davo »
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

wingrider

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 06:16:51 PM »
Awesome - thanks.
Now just have to read the docs and get firmware current on this one.

Then move to my other terastation (first one out - uses ide drives) and get into it - hope I can reset admin account (son set it up and never wrote it down - he's gone, so can't ask). Need to do the same thing to that one.

love these units!

Thanks
Bill

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 04:01:04 AM »
You're right, they are IDE, not SATA (was thinking of a different unit!)
To reset the admin password press and hold the reset button at the back for 10 seconds while the unit is powered up, this will reset the username/password back to admin/password.

Since i thought it was a different unit I think the max size on this one is 2TB.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

wingrider

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 01:34:03 PM »
Reading the docs (well, trying to) and looking to find the most recent firmware for my HD-H1.6TGL/R5 which is running on 1.12 - my presumption is that later ones exist. All that is there is 1.22.104 - since I'm on 1.22, that would appear to be an update?

Then they have a list of GPL's, but when you read them, they aren't supported and if used void warranty and they check returns/repairs and slap your hands if you did. The list had links which don't see to work but kinda implies there are more recent firmware there.

Anyone have insight here? Not sure what to do.

Thanks

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:05:30 AM »
"Latest" (released 2007!) firmware is 2.16.

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/download_file.php?r=3882

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:37:08 PM »
I wouldn't worry about warranty on the unit, either. I'm 99.999% (repeating of course) sure it is out of warranty due to age anyway.

Make sure you have a backup before attempting surgery on these. Stressing those drives could lead to the failure that it is overdue for.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**