Author Topic: Trying to replace harddrive in LS421DE > Not enough drives are selected....  (Read 14336 times)

kurt7305

• Calf
TheFactBringer101    Calf   Posts: 1   

Re: Trying to replace harddrive in LS421DE > Not enough drives are selected....
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 08:49:22 PM »
So i read your ranting/crying/not reading manuals post and here are some things i discovered.
1) The LS421DE is NOT designed to handle 10s of thousands of files let alone 100s of thousands of files?
umm..... it can clearly hold more then that.. if your trying to use it is a small business 6+ people manner then clearly you need to learn how to shop and buy a business unit.
- it CAN hold 10s of thousands of files, but it is NOT designed to handle 10s of thousands of files.

2) Try to do too many file operations in various directories with a lot of files and the LS421DE just can't handle it. applies to what i say on the first comment, if you understand how data xfer works you would then know that its one unit.. if 10 pcs are talking to it then ya that will cut the speed to a 1/10. -_- this is basic math really, plus this is not a main stream cpus, there are limitations to everything for example you not reading the manual.
- even if only one unit is talking to it, (my case), it is not happy. and manuals are written to contain what you MIGHT need, so if you only need certain pieces (my case), manuals have TMI.

3) The LS421DE doesn't appear to be able to recover a RAID1 after one disk fails leading to the copy/delete/create/copy scenario that can take a week or more depending on the number of files and the amount of data to copy. So you cant read a manual... seems like thats pretty common these days. http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c85091/LS400SeriesManual.pdf page 45,
- I've never successfully recovered a single array that went down on the buffalo. if the arrays are there, they are pretty good; but if you lose an array (I've lost four), they are just gone gone gone. We RAID5, and if it is degraded, I NEVER have gotten it back.

4) Don't rely on the LS421DE to be able to recover from a disk failure, so it really is worthless for what it is pitched to be able to do.Dont rely on comments that shows the person doesnt know what they are talking about *COUGH*, because they mislead, the unit is for mostly backing up and media streaming, not mult media streaming, trying to work out of it will work. sure, trying to make it do as many task as a pc... idk.. its a ARM Process people not a consumer or business one.
- I have never NEVER recovered from a disk failure. Since I RAID5, I've limped along with one HDD gone, but never ever got back from degraded. NEVER. I DO know what I'm talking about; I've never recovered from a disk failure. Once a disk fails, putting in a replacement hot swap has NEVER worked. (I'm on week three on my current project; as you suspect, I'm just rebuilding the entire thing starting by formatting the six harddrives, and there seems to be pieces of "Array 1" left behind, so I'm just building "Array 2". I canna get anything to work with the one failed harddrive.

5) External USB drives don't appear to work with the LS421DE (this would have saved a ton of time compared Ethernet even though via USB would have been High Speed (USB 2)). well not sure if you are doing it wrong, probably all with all your ranting like a child, i would read the manual and get customer support or better post on the site you issue in detail, so its easier for people who want to help you can help.
- I wouldn't read the manual; customer support is not helpful; and my solution was to start again at zero.

6) Buffalo Support isn't helpful via e-mail and phone and doesn't follow up when they say they will.im not buffalo so eh, im smart enough to fix my own stuff and know how to googl information i need.
- customer support is not helpful

7) Buffalo Support doesn't help customers on their forums.so... either your blind or trolling.. probably both... clearly they are helped, not everyone one but majority. If people learned how to use the search then most of everyones issue would be sovled... or better yet read the manual..
- I've had to discover my answers by trial and error, although I see pieces on the forums that I can apply to my own circumstances.

We've used our buffalo for over a year now, but once a harddrive goes in a RAID5, that RAID5 is just finished and I start over again.

patrick24

• Calf
I know this thread is a couple of years old but in trying to add a new drive to our 4 drive LS441D today i ran into the same problem, which i eventually solved, after six hours.

I installed the new drive and the rebuild option was greyed out unless i formatted the disk, at which point i could no longer select the disk as part of the rebuild. Round in the same circle as some of the other contributors. Without formatting the disk the array rebuild would fail with the error "A system error occured." etc...

The answer lies in the post from Texturtle which gives the link to the main Buffalo page (which I had already read but not properly):-

http://buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/faqs/replacing-a-failed-drive-on-a-buffalo-linkstation

Essentially the new disk shipped with a small partition. This needs to be removed (by using DISKPART) otherwise the rebuild array process will not work. Once the new drive is COMPLETELY clean of any partitions the rebuild process works as advertised... No need to format, just add the disk to the array and recover.

Patrick

MyersJ2

• Calf
Im having a similar issue. THe new firmware has screwed me over. My drive magically failed after putting new firmware on it (accessed the raid 5 array only twice since update) and its a 4x4TB (11.x formated in R5) array thats about 65% full. This turd has already lost everything once and it took me a month to rebuild what I could. Now I have drive 1 missing from t he array. Reformatted it because it passes every check. It will not let me se\lect it. Im having the same sounding issues as the original poster. The firmware is boinked. I downloaded the updated interface software too (nas navigator 2). No difference. Im begining to think Buffalo doesnt exhist any more. Ive got about $800 tied up into this thing so I dont lose my stuff any more but its more unreliable than my old backups and there seems to be no solution to the problems they are creating. Has anyone figured this out?

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Myer12, what device do you have? It's clearly not a 421DE because that unit can only use two drives, not four.

MyersJ2

• Calf
Im using a 441 4 d4rive unit, but with same error since new firmware came out.

Texturtle

• Administrator
First, the new firmware is probably better at detecting drives that are near failure and preemptively removing them from the array.

Second, let me make sure I understand your current situation. The RAID is currently in a degraded state and won't rebuild to the replacement drive. If I'm reading your post correctly, you formatted the replacement drive. That can cause the unit to not be able to launch the rebuild, the replacement needs to be a blank, unformatted drive.

If you're attempting to re-use the same drive that was kicked out I'd advise connecting it to a computer and making sure the drive doesn't have problems using a diagnostic of some sort. Crystal Disk Info will at least read the SMART information from the drive and give an indication of the drives health.

You may also need to "clean" the drive to return it to a blank, unformatted state. One way of doing that is with the Windows command line utility "diskpart". Instructions for that procedure can be found here: http://www.buffalotech.com/knowledge-base/cleaning-a-disk-in-windows-7-using-diskpart

MyersJ2

• Calf
Unfortunately thats windows 7. Way old. I got to disk management though but the single 4gb drive shows a 5.6gb partition and a 3.72gb partition that I cnat seem to delete. I guess its from the old raid.. Trying to figure out how to start this thing as new.

Texturtle

• Administrator
The Windows command prompt still exists in Windows 10. I've done this a number of times in Windows 10. Diskpart works the same way. The key is you have to run the command prompt as administrator.

Disk management cannot properly "clean" a disk.