Author Topic: Trying to replace harddrive in LS421DE > Not enough drives are selected....  (Read 14334 times)

chansey

• Calf
Hi

One of my drives had bad sectors so I replaced it with a new one. When I go to RAID settings to recover the array I can't because it tells me that "Not enough drives are selected." Select all does only select 1. Check box does not work. I tried formatting it, checking it, setting it as hot spare. Nothing works. Latest firmware. Tried in Firefox and Safari on 10.9.

Please help me, going crazy over here

BR Axel

leesbruu

• Calf
I have same problem. Did you solve it?

dspaude

• Calf
I'm having the same problem with the LS421DE with firmware version 1.31-0.92. At first when I installed the SAME MAKE/MODEL drive (bought at the same time as the original two drives), it was considered unformatted and in that case would give an error instead and to try rebooting and try again (doesn't matter). So I formatted the drive in the LS421DE and now it does the same as what the original topic states "Not enough drives are selected" and yet I am not allowed to select the one that is available!

I don't trust trying to delete the RAID (RAID 1 in my case). The manual doesn't state what will happen when that is done--makes it sound more like you want to reformat/redo the whole array which I DO NOT want to do. I just want to restore the RAID 1 array!

Any Buffalo people ever comment on these forums? I didn't see anyone from Buffalo reply to other topics. I sent a web request for support, but no response there either...

dspaude

• Calf
Still no resolution from Buffalo. Their e-mail support doesn't read the e-mails carefully and instead suggests things I've already tried (such as "In the window where you were allowed to delete the raid array, select the second drive then select rebuild raid array"). Sorry, I told you I tried to do that and gave you a screenshot showing that I can't do that. The original poster of this topic couldn't do it either.

I turned off the power switch, but now the LS421DE has been supposedly shutting down for 3 days and it is still flashing the white LED like it is doing disk operations. I saw another topic on a different forum about the white LED flashing for days without shutting down and that person was redirected to the LS400 series manual which just says the white LED flashes during boot up and shutdown. Not helpful! Normally it shuts down within a few minutes. Apparently it isn't behaving normally and instead is probably doing some sort of disk check (normal for Linux after many days of not having done fsck).

alessio.alessandretti

• Calf
I think the problem is that you need to rebuild the raid without formatting the disk with the linkstation.
I don't know why but it you format the disk inside the linkstation then wil be created some additional partition and with these partition you can't rebuild the raid.

So you need to remove the disk, and with a pc remove all partition and then try again.

dspaude

• Calf
Thanks, Alessio.

I had thought about doing that (formatting the disk on a PC and trying again), but I was waiting for the LinkStation to power off. It had been "shutting down" for over 7 days. I finally pulled the plug on it. What a joke. The web GUI gives no information about what the LinkStation is doing and Buffalo Tech doesn't respond to their own forums nor e-mails.

I formatted Disk 2 and reinstalled it into the LinkStation and now Disk 2 said it "Failed" and I still cannot click on the checkbox in front of Disk 2 in the RAID page. So, I went to the Drive page and clicked on Rediscover Disk and now it says "Unformatted." Back to the RAID page...NOW I can select Disk 2 and click on Recover RAID Array...OR NOT!!! Now I'm back to the Error:Rebuild Array "A system error occured. Reboot the LinkStation and try configuring it again."

I'll try rebooting via web GUI rather than the switch in back...No. Same error when trying to Rebuild RAID Array.

I don't think it is possible to recover the RAID array. Buffalo is of no help. They are not able or willing to support their products. I do not recommend their products.

dspaude

• Calf
Re: Trying to replace harddrive in LS421DE > Not enough drives are selected....
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »
I finally had to just copy everything off of the LS421DE via Ethernet network (because an external USB drive did NOT work when attached to the LS421DE--it would see it, but wouldn't let me use it). After that I had to delete the RAID, erase the disks, create the RAID again, and then copy all of the files back to the RAID. I spent over 7 days having to manually copy small chunks.

Some things I learned:
1) The LS421DE is NOT designed to handle 10s of thousands of files let alone 100s of thousands of files.
2) Try to do too many file operations in various directories with a lot of files and the LS421DE just can't handle it.
3) The LS421DE doesn't appear to be able to recover a RAID1 after one disk fails leading to the copy/delete/create/copy scenario that can take a week or more depending on the number of files and the amount of data to copy.
4) Don't rely on the LS421DE to be able to recover from a disk failure, so it really is worthless for what it is pitched to be able to do.
5) External USB drives don't appear to work with the LS421DE (this would have saved a ton of time compared Ethernet even though via USB would have been High Speed (USB 2)).
6) Buffalo Support isn't helpful via e-mail and phone and doesn't follow up when they say they will.
7) Buffalo Support doesn't help customers on their forums.

TheFactBringer101

• Calf
Re: Trying to replace harddrive in LS421DE > Not enough drives are selected....
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 08:49:22 PM »
So i read your ranting/crying/not reading manuals post and here are some things i discovered.

1) The LS421DE is NOT designed to handle 10s of thousands of files let alone 100s of thousands of files? umm..... it can clearly hold more then that.. if your trying to use it is a small business 6+ people manner then clearly you need to learn how to shop and buy a business unit.
2) Try to do too many file operations in various directories with a lot of files and the LS421DE just can't handle it. applies to what i say on the first comment, if you understand how data xfer works you would then know that its one unit.. if 10 pcs are talking to it then ya that will cut the speed to a 1/10. -_- this is basic math really, plus this is not a main stream cpus, there are limitations to everything for example you not reading the manual.
3) The LS421DE doesn't appear to be able to recover a RAID1 after one disk fails leading to the copy/delete/create/copy scenario that can take a week or more depending on the number of files and the amount of data to copy. So you cant read a manual... seems like thats pretty common these days. http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c85091/LS400SeriesManual.pdf page 45,
4) Don't rely on the LS421DE to be able to recover from a disk failure, so it really is worthless for what it is pitched to be able to do.Dont rely on comments that shows the person doesnt know what they are talking about *COUGH*, because they mislead, the unit is for mostly backing up and media streaming, not mult media streaming, trying to work out of it will work. sure, trying to make it do as many task as a pc... idk.. its a ARM Process people not a consumer or business one.
5) External USB drives don't appear to work with the LS421DE (this would have saved a ton of time compared Ethernet even though via USB would have been High Speed (USB 2)). well not sure if you are doing it wrong, probably all with all your ranting like a child, i would read the manual and get customer support or better post on the site you issue in detail, so its easier for people who want to help you can help.
6) Buffalo Support isn't helpful via e-mail and phone and doesn't follow up when they say they will.im not buffalo so eh, im smart enough to fix my own stuff and know how to googl information i need.
7) Buffalo Support doesn't help customers on their forums.so... either your blind or trolling.. probably both... clearly they are helped, not everyone one but majority. If people learned how to use the search then most of everyones issue would be sovled... or better yet read the manual..

dspaude

• Calf
@TheFactorBringer101

Please read all of this thread and you should understand what happened.

1) Yes, the LS421DE allows 100s of thousands of files to be stored on the drive (it's a Linux-based system). However, doing file operations, like copy from or copy to where the operation includes 100s of thousands of files and it chokes. I only have one system that attaches to the LS421DE. Copying data off the one remaining good drive of the RAID1 array should be possible without needing 7 days of babysitting (copying small chunks off at a time).
2) You assumed 6 to 10 PCs accessing the LS421DE. Not true. One.
3) I read the manual. I searched online for solutions. I posted here. I e-mailed Buffalo. I called Buffalo. They couldn't help me resolve it the RAID1 recovery problem and they never called me back when they said they would do so. I resorted to having to copy everything off of the RAID1 array which took 7 days of babysitting because it choked on all of the files.
4) A "Network Attached Storage" device should be able to hold files. Streaming and such is not necessarily what NAS was originally designed to do (it's an extra feature). I was just trying to copy files off of the device and wiping and formatting the RAID1, copying back to it (and babysitting yet again). It should handle simple file operations as a STORAGE device.
5) I read the manual. The LS421DE wanted nothing to do with a NexStar dual bay hard drive dock. It is possible that Buffalo configured their device to only allow their own branded USB mass storage device. All I could find is a comment about not allowing USB hubs. I didn't have a USB hub attached to the LS421DE.
6) I searched Google a lot and searched this forum a lot. No solutions. The original poster never posted his resolution if it was resolved. My resolution was to wipe out the RAID1 array. That should not be the resolution for RAID1 ever.
7) Please read this whole thread and my comments above.

RudyNAS

• Calf
I just saw this old thread while searching for a solution with my LS421DE. I experienced the same exact problems like dspaude.
And I also think that..... TheFactBringer101 is RUDE and not helpful.

Anyway just wanted to share my solution. Like dspaude, I experienced all the same symptoms after a hard drive failure. But I noticed that the "Recover array" option was not enabled. So I did the following:

1) Mount the a new HD and use the Buffalo unit to format the new drive
2) Remount the old failed drive in order for the LS421DE to detect that the array has failed.
3) Swap out the failed drive with the new formatted drive.
The LS421DE now recognizes that there's an issue with the array and it'll enable the "Array Recover" option on the next reboot.
Make sure to power down the unit per the instruction each time. My array is now currently being rebuilt by LS421DE... has another 500 minutes remaining to go   :)

akoster

• Calf
Hello all.  I unfortunately have found myself in the same situation and likewise stumbled upon this thread. (1 failed disk on 2-disk RAID 1 Array using the LS421DE, Drives are WD Red 2TB and drives and unit were purchased circa spring 2014).  I appreciate all the constructive feedback in trying to solve this problem.

Since my failed drive was under warranty, I went ahead and RMA'd it, shipping back the old, failed disk, and installing the replacement unit earlier today, only to find I was unable to get the LS421DE to rebuild/recover the array as the option was grayed out.   Hindsight seems always to be 20/20 and I wish I would have seen this post prior to removing and sending the old drive for the warranty claim.  RudyNAS, might you be able to elaborate on your steps?  The original reason why I sent in for the warranty replacement on my drive was that the unit's light was flashing red and the web interface informed me the failing drive had bad sectors, but not specifically that the RAID had failed.

I do agree it is unfortunate to encounter such an issue.  I was under the impression that a RAID1 should be able to rebuild itself if a disk fails and it seems that the interface offers such an option to "Recover the RAID array", except that the button is grayed out.  I have yet to contact Buffalo support, but I hope that this issue can get resolved soon.  I do not have enough spare space on old external HDDs nor on my PC's internal storage to copy all of the data currently on the NAS and am as anxious as everyone to find a solution to this problem.

I just saw this old thread while searching for a solution with my LS421DE. I experienced the same exact problems like dspaude.

Anyway just wanted to share my solution. Like dspaude, I experienced all the same symptoms after a hard drive failure. But I noticed that the "Recover array" option was not enabled. So I did the following:

2) Remount the old failed drive in order for the LS421DE to detect that the array has failed.
The LS421DE now recognizes that there's an issue with the array and it'll enable the "Array Recover" option on the next reboot.
Make sure to power down the unit per the instruction each time. My array is now currently being rebuilt by LS421DE... has another 500 minutes remaining to go   :)

TedA

• Calf

Your steps work. Thank you, RudyNAS!!

It makes me wonder though. If you don't have the failed drive any longer, what can one do? Obviously step #2 can't be done.

What if you do these steps, instead:
2) you just switch off the LS421DE and switch it back on with the new, formatted drive left in there. The LS421DE should detect that the array still failed.
3) Theoretically, the LS421DE should now recognize that there's an issue with the array and it'll enable the "Array Recover" option.

Again, this is a theory. Someone has to try it. Unfortunately mine is still rebuilding and it will take a long time and it can't be aborted, nor do I want to, otherwise I'd try my own theory. Someone should try this and report back. If it fails, he/she can still do what RudyNAS suggested.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup

dspaude

• Calf
Unfortunately, I was hoping I would never have this problem again, but I'm once again having this problem. The "Recover RAID Array" button is clickable, I click on it, click Yes to continue, I enter the 4 digit code, and then it fails with "A system error occured. Reboot the LinkStation and try configuring it again." Same thing as I had reported before. I restart the LinkStation and try again. Same problem. I still have the failed drive, so I might try re-installing it, check the array, and then try the new drive again. I've found that when I format the new drive that then I can never recover the array, but I didn't do the process RudyNAS outlined. I have to "unformat" it in order to use the recover button.

I tried Texturtle's link (which is what is in the manual) and Step 18 (the last step) is what does NOT happen. Same as what happened to me before.

dspaude

• Calf
Okay, apparently by putting the "failed" drive back in (which according to SeaTools has not failed), now the RAID array is gone and both drives show up as unformatted. So how do I deal with that??? I restarted the device a few times. Same result (both drives are unformatted). I then removed Disk 2 (the one that "failed") and still says Disk 1 is unformatted.

I mounted the volume and I can still see all of the files.

I do not trust BUFFALO products.