Author Topic: Linkstation Live (500gb) Browser Mgmt Problem  (Read 10453 times)

bhayes

• Calf
Linkstation Live (500gb) Browser Mgmt Problem
« on: September 20, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »

I had a problem where my LS Live drive was no longer found on my network.  I followed a suggestion in another forum discussion on this to update the firmware.  I did this from the Buffalo downloads.  This fixed my discovery problem but now when I go into the browser management everything is in (i think) Japanese!!  

How can I get this back into English?

Details:

LinkStation Live HS-DH500GL w/firmware V2.10

OS = Windows Vista Home Premium (with SP1)

OK..  I fixed it..  Thank goodness for accurate screen shots in the downloaded users manual..  Fix was a matter of browsing to the BASIC settings screen and 1st) changing the "display language" to english..  then 2nd) changing the "windows client language" to english as well.  BUT..  the system would not let me change the "windows client language" until I browsed back to the HOME settings screen and then back to the BASIC screen.  Only then did it give me options..  

This should really be fixed in the firmware!

Message Edited by bhayes on 09-20-2008 01:58 PM

battycoda

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Live (500gb) Browser Mgmt Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 02:32:54 PM »
   I have the same problem, but your way of doing it, didn't fix it. Any other ideas - cause I can't ready Japanese....

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »
Follow the screen shotes then if it does not work reboot the unit.

fostwal

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:32:04 PM »

I've got a combination of similar problems.  My Linkstation disappeard from my mapped drives.  I only found it using Buffalo NAS.  Found that the IP address had somehow been changed to 192.168.11.150 and the workgroup was blank.  I couldn't change the IP address using the Buffalo NAS or get to it via the web interface.  Possiblly because that IP address was outside the range on my firewall. 

So, I reset the unit.  This corrected the IP address issue and linkstation now shows up as "HS-DHGL27B" with an info folder and a shared printer icon.  However, none of the folders with +100GB of data are there.  The web interface is now in Japanese and I can't get in using "admin" and "password". 

I was on firmware v2.03 and forced the update to v2.10 using the instruction on the Buffalo Tech KB.  Buffalo NAS shows the firmware is now v2.10.  But nothing else changed.  Still can't see the old folders.  Still can't get into the japanese web interface.  I've reset and rebooted the unit multiple times with no improvment.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »
Try to FTP into the device, some times you are able to recover your data that way.  As far as the Japanese issue, following the instructions on the kb then possibly an additional power cycle should fix it.  I would try to flash the firmware again. 

fostwal

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 01:29:07 PM »
   Reflashed the firmware.  Both times using the instruction in KB#000133 - How to perform a firmware force for Buffalo NAS devices.  No change.  Web client is still in Japanese.  Still can't access the web client with "admin" and "password".  Can't FTP to the device either. 

battycoda

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 10:30:59 AM »

I have forced the flash, rebooted the device and followed all directions word for word, but I still can't read Japanese!

Maybe these guys need to check their firmware! I can see the drives and all the data just fine, can't use the web interface and can't manage the drive, i.e., add users, print server, etc. So far a great drive to share for storage, was expecting more.....

Fix the firmware and I would recommend to others....

ScottP

• Tatanka
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 08:09:35 AM »

Sometimes after applying a fresh firmware update or running the firmware in recovery mode, the LinkStations CAN get "stuck" in Japanese.

Have you tried resetting the LinkStation to factory defaults in the web GUI?  Using the English screenshots as a guide, select "Maintenance" (icon on the left with a wrench and screwdriver), then "Initialization" (should be the bottom option in the tree below "Maintenance" ).  On the Initialization screen, select the button under the second heading (on the English screenshot it should say "Restore Factory Defaults to LinkStation" ).

This will cause the LinkStation to reboot with a fresh config file.  It MAY still come up in Japanese when it's finished, but this time around you should be able to successfully change it back to English using the basic page.

Message Edited by ScottP on 10-13-2008 08:10 AM

battycoda

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 11:17:46 PM »
   None of that worked, what would it take just to reformat and start over? If I use the Web screens, will it reformat back to bare OS and then just need the firmware upgrade to be applied? Would that get it up to operational. This is frustrating, can't use the print server, can't secure it, nothing, just another dumb harddrive....

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 09:23:22 AM »
Under maintenance you have to set the unit back to factory defaults.  (this will not cause data loss, it will just reset the configurations). 

battycoda

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 07:43:13 PM »

I did all that, when I go back to the web screen it is in Japanese and then I follow through with going in and changing to English, what is NOT showing up is the second entry just below the selection for English, it only gives me the single entry --SJIS(CP932)-- I leave that alone, since that is the only entry available, and still no change.

That is why I figured that if I have done everything listed int he threads and it still hasn't helped that maybe just reformatting and starting over would be easier, I can live with the current data loss and work forward, but I still can't read Japanese and so the product is becoming worthless for anything other than just another storage drive, no security, no print ability, nothing-- not what I expected when I purchased it. 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »

Buffalo also has RMA options to swap out the units for you.

Please call 866-752-6210

fostwal

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 03:14:23 PM »

Just to follow up.  I tried the forced update again.  This time disabling my firewall and using a patch cable to connect the linkstation directly to my pc.  The web interface was still in Japanese and wouldn't accept the default password.

The unit is 1.5 yrs old, so I figured that I had nothing to loose by opening the case to see if anything was loose.  Found nothing wrong.  I connected the drive direct to my pc with a SATA cable.  I could see the drive in the device mgr but not in explorer so I couldn't get to my files.  

I packaged everything back up and then tried one last ditch effort to recover the use of the drive.  (I gave up on getting the data back.)   I did the forced update again, this time I checked the "Rebuild Partition Table" box.  I knew that I would loose my data, but hoped that I could at least use the drive.  This time the update worked.  I was able to get into the web interface.  

The unit seems to be working fine now.  I have been able to make folders on it and access those folders from my pc.   Lesson learned.  Even though, the unit comes with backup software.  Its not a guaranteed way to backup your files.

Nukeman10

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »

It doesn't cause data loss but it does cause you to have to set everything back up again, including all your shares. I found out the hardway, having to remember the shares indentical spelling in upper/lower case.

ble64

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 05:12:16 PM »

Fostwal,

I have the exact problem that you had (shares missing, can't login as admin), but don't want to lose the data as my last backup is a bit old!

Did you lose all your data?

thx