Author Topic: Neverending backup  (Read 8999 times)

DYang444

• Calf
Neverending backup
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »

I have a Linkstation Live connected to a network with both Mac's and Windows machines. I have an external USB hard drive connected to the Linkstation. The firmware was 2.03 and I just upgraded it to 2.11

I created a backup job backing up a folder on the Linkstation drive onto the USB drive. According to the web interface, it is still running (on its second day), even though I have shut down and restarted the Linkstation. I've even updated the firmware! But nothing so far has stopped the backup, at least according to the web interface.

I also created two other similar backup jobs for other folders, and they ran and completed successfully.

My guess, based on digging around, is that the problematic folder has file names with path names that are too long, and this is causing the backup to hang. I can live with that limitation, but shouldn't there be a way to terminate the backup or shouldn't it give up? What do I do?

tanjl

• El Toro
Re: Neverending backup
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 10:53:02 PM »
   Try removing the USB drive from the Linkstation. That should stop the backup and then login to the web console to delete the backup jobs.

DYang444

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »

Thanks for the suggesiton. I tried it, but it still says that the backup job is running.

Any other suggestions on what I can do? I'm hoping that the job isn't really running, but the USB drive does seem to be doing something continuously when it's on and plugged into the LinkStation. I'd really like to kill this backup job somehow.

dgkelp

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:20:42 PM »

I would recommend going into the user interface of the device and resetting the device to defaults.  This will not delete any data.  All it will do is reset username/password, set to use dhcp, it will no longer be connected to Active directory, and disable FTP and web access. 

This should do the trick and resolve your issue.

DYang444

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »
   Yes, thanks for the advice. I did do this, and it did do the trick.

adbsrsray

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 01:37:38 PM »
   If this reset disables the web interface.. how do you manage the box after the reset?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 08:33:11 PM »
The reset doesn't disable the web interface, I am not sure where you got that information.

adbsrsray

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 07:51:42 AM »
   check message 4 in the thread..

DYang444

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:46:57 AM »

This is indeed a reasonable question. There two different ways that the NAS is accessed via the web. One is the administrative interface used to configure and manage the NAS. This works, even after you reset the NAS. The other is for uploading and downloading the contents of the hard drives in the NAS. This service must be explicitly activated through the web administrative interface. So if you reset the NAS, it is turned off by default and must be turned on again, if you want to use it.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 02:09:48 PM »
Message four didn't say it disabled the web interface,  it said it disabled web access (function to allow connection over the internet).

adbsrsray

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 08:10:53 AM »

thanks for clarification.. just checking to be sure before we take the plunge.. is the latest microcode the fix

we are at 1.33 and have a 'hung' backup job.. shouldn't there be a way to cancel other than resetting the box? 

DYang444

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 09:15:39 AM »

I'm not sure I understand your message, but...

I believe that, before resetting my server, I did upgrade it to the latest available version of the firmware, hoping that would provide a more reasonable solution to the hung backup.  But no such luck. That's when I queried this forum for a solution and then reset my server.

I would agree that resetting the server is a pretty lame solution for this problem, and there should be a better way. Luckily, it was not hard for me to restore the settings back to what I had.

mikels

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 05:42:50 AM »
Long Path Tool works excellent to copy or delete, long path files  quickly than other software. You may also try it and I m sure you will be happy too. Thank you!