Author Topic: Can't format/install firmware on a Terastation TS-WXL  (Read 11285 times)

xoy74

• Calf
Can't format/install firmware on a Terastation TS-WXL
« on: January 21, 2014, 07:22:12 PM »
I got a Terastation TS-WXL without HDDs (originally Terastation TS-WX4.0TL) and I am having some trouble formatting a HDD and installing the firmware.
I've installed the firmware with TFTP boot on several Linkstations but this one is different.
I am using a HDD with no partition tables at all (using the "clean" command in Windows diskpart utility)
When the TS boots up it displays all the diag messages then "No kernel file at HDD 0" and "No init file at HDD 0" then proceeds to boot up in EM mode.
When it's done, it says "Welcome to Terastation" then the backlight goes red (not sure if this is normal).
After this the TSUpdater finds it properly. When I try to update it, it prompts me that it wants to format the HDD which I accept, then the format progress bar advances 1 pixel and then I get the message "Format failed. Update aborted."
Obviously I used VersionCheck = 0 and Debug = 1 as in http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=10184.0
I also tried starting the EM mode using this procedure http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=10182.0 which doesn't appear to make any difference (it starts up in EM mode anyways).
Any idea ?

aparadissis

• Calf
Re: Can't format/install firmware on a Terastation TS-WXL
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
Did you ever get this fixed?  I have the same issue. 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:53:29 AM »
It cannot format one or more of the disks, there is an issue with one of them.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

aparadissis

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 01:29:35 PM »
Davo,  I removed the drives one at a time and I still get the same issue.  I also tried to run the firmware installer twice as I have seen in other posts.  Still no good.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Do I need to start with a more junior rev?

TSUpdater ver/info

Error

aparadissis

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 03:44:21 PM »
OK, found the answer.
You must force the install/format by changing the TSUpdater config file.
add a section:

[SpecialFlags]
 Debug = 1

found on the post
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Terastation_Recovery#Debug_Mode

I unchecked all the normal update check boxes and checked all the rest; and the update process worked.

I will post pics when I get control of my pc back.

aparadissis

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »
First:

Then the error:

The Options I used:

In progress: