Author Topic: Terastation TS-RIGL Iscsi  (Read 6329 times)

obsidian_suppor

• Calf
Re: Terastation TS-RIGL Iscsi
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 07:33:17 PM »
   can anybody help with the backup procedure for this device?

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 09:06:52 AM »

It is not that I have real experience with it but there is a built-in snapshot. I do not really know how it works and it takes space away.

Other wise I agree with all who use a backup yhey are used to; I would use my programs because the TS merely provides the space and controls the RAID. Everything else on this thing is done by external intelligence. My BU program supports shadow copy. Shame that I seldom have need for it. Rather than backup a Windows I always reinstall it and I always have the data somewhere else.

Message Edited by disputator on 05-02-2009 04:11 PM

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 10:55:48 AM »
There isn't really a preferred method... Anything that works for regular hard drives should work for the iSCSI TS.

obsidian_suppor

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 10:12:25 AM »

thanks for the info but I seem to be ever increasingly confused by this at the moment so please bear with me.

If I can only connect one server per ISCSI volume does that server that is connected have to perform the backup? If not how can I connect to the ISCSI device with my external backup server running program (Arcserve R12) to backup all data on the device?

If I have to create a share of the volume from each connected server how can I overcome the issues with files that are in use? Can I use the connected server's shadow copy feature or would this not work.

Basically I am running Hyper-V Server 2008 and have my virtual hard disks stored on an ISCSI volume, I want to be able to back these virtual hard disks up on a daily basis, but need a way of accessing the files as they are always in use, would I need to have a period of downtime on the virtual machines, whilst the backups happens.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

obsidian_suppor

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 10:55:05 AM »
   Hi Colin are you albe to help with my backup problem at all?