Author Topic: LS-500GL won't keep current date after reboot  (Read 5664 times)

loiswakeman

• Calf
LS-500GL won't keep current date after reboot
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »

On my Linkstation Mini (500 Mb) I can't get the time settings to stick: the web interface won't accept a time server name and the date keeps reverting to 1st November 2007 every time it reboots.

I've already updated the firmware to version 1.05 exactly as instructed by EU tech support - but apart from wasting an hour of my time, it hasn't made any difference.

This is an actively unhelpful feature in a device used for backup, where one might expect file dates to be useful in deciding what to copy.

The workaround of remembering to log into it every time it powers up and setting the date isn't one I want to do, as it should be elementary to keep the right settings. And in the interests of saving the planet and rising fuel bills, we have moved on from leaving the LAN and storage running 24/7.

Can I expect any fix for this please?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: LS-500GL won't keep current date after reboot
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 03:02:18 PM »

Have you tried the IP address of the time server?

I have to research more on the EU firmware but do you have a manual time setting you can select based on the GMT?

loiswakeman

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:31:55 AM »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. In the EU firmware, there is a Basic tab that allows either a time server to be specified/enabled, or there's a button called "Use Local Time" that resets the time to what's on my PC or the router (I assume?).

I haven't managed to get the time server to stick as an IP or host name - but I am still playing about with the ports on the firewall, since no-one seems to know definitively what ports the client and server need apart from UDP 123: and I can't find any info on the Buffalo client's specific requirements. I think that may be what's stopping the settings "taking" immediately, but as the others aren't saved either, who knows?

jeffb

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »

I have the same problem with my LS-CHL.  It even reverts to the same date as Lois' LS-GL: 1 November 2007.  I think it started happening when I enabled NTP, so I've switched off NTP now.  I tried it with the default NTP server and with my local server, but the result was the same.

I can understand that there might be a network problem that prevents the Linkstation from accessing the NTP server, but I wouldn't expect that to result in a bogus date! That must be a firmware bug. I have firmware 1.06, so I'm presently downloading 1.07 to see if that will make any difference.

Message Edited by jeffb on 05-17-2009 11:22 AM

GMCinema

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 04:32:00 AM »
   LS-CHL FW 1.07 has still this issue. NTP works only after initiating it once on the admin page. It does not work on Boot after power cut.

jeffb

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:43:58 PM »

Some good news at last.  NTP seems to work in firmware 1.07 if you use the IP address of the NTP server instead of its URL.  I've powered off and on a couple of times over the last two days and the time and date are still correct.  The System Status/System Information page shows when it last refreshed, and the time shown is consistent with the "Every 3 hours" option that I set.

I'd like to know if the LinkStation is now properly fixed, so that I can turn off NTP and it will still keep the correct time (with some drift, of course) after a reboot.  But I don't want to break it again, so I'm not going to try that experiment yet.