Author Topic: Secure hard drive format / wipe on TeraStation HD-H1.0TGL/R5  (Read 3819 times)

denis

• Calf
Secure hard drive format / wipe on TeraStation HD-H1.0TGL/R5
« on: April 14, 2009, 05:09:48 PM »

I have a Buffalo Terastation model HD-H1.0TGL/R5 that has served us faithfully over the past years and I am ready to donate to a local school.  Since there is some sensitive corporate information on the drives, I am looking for a way to securely wipe the information on the hard drives.

What's the recommended procedure?

Thanks.

denis

• Calf
Re: Secure hard drive format / wipe on TeraStation HD-H1.0TGL/R5
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:35:19 PM »
   Will that securely wipe the data from the hard drives?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:47:41 PM »
my apologies, I misread your first post.  First you would want to take drives out, use a secure delete software on the largest partition (that's the data partition) on each of the drives. I believe the data partition is the last one, but i'm not 100% sure, since this is an older unit. Then do a reformat.

denis

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:02:22 PM »
   That's kind of what I suspected.  What happens if I wipe EVERY partition on ALL the drives?  Will the TeraStation be able to recover when I put them back in there an power everything back up? Is the OS stored on the drives or in firmware?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:21:57 PM »
A large portion of the OS is stored on the drives, and if that gets wiped, it will be hard to get the device to work again. You may be able to update the firmware a few times to get it to work again, but no promises. I recommend just wiping the data partitions.