Author Topic: LinkStation Pro losing connection to network  (Read 5764 times)

acdeslx

• Calf
LinkStation Pro losing connection to network
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »
Hello.
I have a LS-WVL/E with a 1TB SATA3 drive in it. I'm having a problem where if I try to copy a number of files (say 2000+), the whole copy operation will shut down after 10 minutes or so. I lose complete contact with the NAS to the point that I can ping it but NASNav can't see it nor can Windows.

I've tried rebooting the computer, the drive, both at the same time, different copy programs..., changed ethernet cables, switch ports...
I'm out of ideas here. I've never had this problem before and have done this several times in the past.

Again, the drive works fine unless I try to copy a large number of files or try to access the drive constantly looking through different folders/files.

The signal path is WIN7 PC --> ethernet switch --> NAS
The NAS is running firmware 1.64.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Dave

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Re: LinkStation Pro losing connection to network
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

ConDist

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:49:21 PM »
I just installed a LS420D and am having identical problems as acdeslx above.  I upgraded to firmware 1.01 prior beginning the copying process.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

DaveJJ

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 03:32:10 PM »
Hi!

I've just got rid of a LS421DE which was so much trouble it's put me of Buffalo for life.  That aside one problem I had with the unit was regular disappearance from the network.  This may not be your problem but tech Support informed me that if it was using a fixed IP address on a network with a DHCP server then this problem can occur if the fixed IP address is within the DHCP range.

I checked my new router supplied by my ISP as an upgrade and discovered that the DHCP server was set to cover the whole range from 2 to 255.  When I reset it to address range 2 to 150 the Buffalo stop disappearing but non of it's other problem were cured (not recognising USB HDDs or writing backups or reliably formatting and reporting disk status).

It may be worth looking at.  Hope this helps

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
The newer routers dont like you settings a static ip the old fashion way which is the true static ip way. they want you to reserve the ip in the router. when you don't stuff like this happens there are other things as well... this was a fun talk with netgear and asus when i saw this. They inform was i was doing static ip wrong and you don't set it on the device you reserve it in the router...... smh... complete tards.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

DaveJJ

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 04:47:19 AM »
Yes.  As a "less than expert" I always understood the IP address was allocated in the device and the router/DHCP server was informed of the fixed address.  Unfortunately for me, the ISP sent the router preconfigured and, for the first time for me, it precluded any fixed IP addresses by hogging the lot.  Because it was new it took me ages to find my way around the web admin pages.  Hopefully, once bitten twice shy.

Cheers.

windracer

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 10:36:31 AM »
I seem to be having a similar issue on my new LS420D (6TB in RAID-1). Quite a few times, during big copy operations (primarily when copying files from my old Linkstation Live LS-CHL to the new NAS) the LS420D has just dropped off the network (not pingable). Only a power-down/reboot of the device restores connectivity. I am using a reserved static IP address in my router and that IP address is NOT inside my DHCP range. I'm also running the latest 1.31 firmware.