Author Topic: Itunes and linkstation mini  (Read 5437 times)

jimmyt

• Calf
Itunes and linkstation mini
« on: October 20, 2008, 06:44:59 AM »

For some reason the shared itunes library generated by my linkstation mini will not list its contents when clicked in itunes. I have made sure that the media server settings are directed to the correct folder.

Connecting the linkstation mini via ethernet to my Mac Book with the firewall turned off makes no difference. Accessing the files via SMB is not a problem.

Is there some sort of directory structure on the linkstation i should use for itunes to find the correct files?

I have the latest firmware (1.05) and Nas Navigator V2.10 installed. I'm using itunes 8.0.1.

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: Itunes and linkstation mini
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 12:36:28 PM »

I apologized for the lateness of this reply. I hope the issue has been resolved, but if not, here are some things to try.

As long as the media server is enabled, there is no further configuration necessary for the iTunes server feature to work. Try resetting the Linkstation to defaults: from the web management interface, click on "Maintenance", then click on the subcategory "Initialization", then click on the "Restore" button. This will rewrite the configuration to the default settings, but won't remove any data, RAID settings, or shared folders.

If the issue continues, try another computer or reinstalling iTunes.

sluk

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »

I wonder if Buffalo people know the reason why "Initialization", then click on "Restore" will get things works... the reason behind is due to only this reset action will get the iTune server deamon i.e. mt-daapd config file point to the correct directory mount point (it will restore to /mnt/disk1/share), any attempt by end users to change the PCast directory or even point back to the original directory via the Web Admin interface will break the mt-daapd.conf file and made it point to /mnt/share or /mnt/whatever without the disk1 in between. 

When will Buffalo want to fix this Web Admin script generation problems instead of suggesting end-users keep on resetting the configuration?  If this bug not being fixed and if end-users not copying their media files to the default "share" directory they will never see their songs or video from iTune.  Reset to factory configure will never help!

Please note that this is not just a LS Mini issue, it also happened on LS Live!

Message Edited by sluk on 12-12-2008 09:48 AM

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 06:06:22 PM »
Buffalo is working on firmware fixes and I will pass this one up to our firmware engineers.

sluk

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:45:46 PM »

Thanks Paul for the respond... Please also pass this on as well, the following will allow you or your firmware engineers to reproduce the bugs:

Logon to the web admin GUI:

1) Click "Shared Folders" from the left side menu

2) Click the "Add" button under Shared Folders Setup

3) Add a new shared folder and give it a name e.g.. "songs" in the  "Shared Folder Name" box

4) Leave everything as default then click apply to build the new shared folder.

5) Click "PCast" from the left side menu

6) Select the new created "songs" folder for "Media Folder"

7) Click apply

the following respond file will be generated in the system:

Contents of /etc/melco/pcast_mp2000:
server=on
media=/mnt/songs
usbdisk=1
limit_media=
limit_pass=
dlna_db=

If you take a look on the location of the "songs" folder, it is created / mount under /mnt/disk1/songs instead of /mnt/songs so based on the above respond file output the script to generate the media server config file will get the iTune server mt-daapd pointing to the incorrect directory.

Event if you now deleted the "songs" via "Shared Folders" and reapply "share" via "PCast" -> "Media Folder" menu the respond file will result in the wrong path forever like below:

Contents of /etc/melco/pcast_mp2000
server=on
media=/mnt/share
usbdisk=1
limit_media=
limit_pass=
dlna_db= 

At this point ONLY a "Maintenance" -> "Initialization" -> "Restore" will get the correct path rewritten like below because this process actually restored a year 2006 pcast_mp2000 factory default respond file:

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           68 Oct 19  2006 pcast_mp2000

Contents of restored: /etc/melco/pcast_mp2000
server=on
media=/mnt/disk1/share
usbdisk=1
limit_media=
limit_pass=

Hopefully end-users are putting all there media files under the default "share" folder and if they never touch the "PCast" Menu via the Web Admin GUI again that will solve the problem for them for the time being.

I hope this piece of information will help you guys solve the puzzle.  I only have iTune to test so I really don't know the impact on DLNA server side which will affect PS3.

NOTE:the above test are done on a LS Live with the latest firmware.

Message Edited by sluk on 12-12-2008 05:47 PM

jimmyt

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 03:11:52 AM »

Thanks for your attention to this issue guys, a slightly modified method was sent to me in an email from the Buffalo helpdesk and got my unit working:

Automatic update = Refresh
Tick the option refresh now
Tick option Initialize database before refresh
Click on Apply
After that please leave the unit for 10 min to refresh the database and try again if you can see the files with your iTunes

The music works fine, unfortunately the real reason i bought the unit was to stream movies and Buffalo have told me that this feature is not supported - are there any plans to enable movies in Itunes/Front row using the same feature?

mcintst

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:53:01 PM »

I'm having the same issue with my recently purchased LS-XH1.0TL

My Linkstation shows up in I-Tunes with no files listed.

Itunes version 8.1.1.10

Linkstations Firmware version 1.10

I created a folder (from the PC) under 'share' called video_apple and set the media server to use that folder. Tried 'Initialize database before refresh' but no good. Also tried restarting the media server.

What should I do next?

Will this bug be corrected in a future firmware release and if so, when?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 07:48:39 AM »
Since this wasn't a bug until version 8.1.1.10 of iTunes came out I would say the fix would have to lie with Apple, however you could try re-initializing the NAS itself. Access the Web Admin->Maintenance->Initialization->Restore. This should not affect the data on the NAS.

mcintst

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 08:11:37 AM »

I already tried that without success :-(

I'm not too bothered since I can add all the files manually from a mapped drive.

That feature would be a 'nice to have' though...

overall I'm pretty happy with the product and find it a cheap but effective NAS solution.

-Stuart.