Author Topic: EventID 11 The driver detected a controller error on my DriveStation HD-WL2TU3  (Read 15399 times)

fdlwebmaster

• Calf
I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 with Exchange 2010, and a daily backup at 9PM to an external USB Buffalo DriveStation HD-WL2TU3/R1 (bought new in Canada in April 2012). The backup lasts around 30 minutes, everything looks fine, the Exchange backup seems complete and ready to be restored if needed (that's nice).

But once or twice a month, and recently once or twice a week I see in the Disk event log this error "EventID 11 The driver detected a controller error\Device\Harddisk1\DR1". The error happens around 9:30PM, just when the backup has finished or is finishing I guess...  There is always the same error logged 5 times in a row within 2 or 3 seconds around 9:30PM.

It seems to me this issue might be related to a problem with the "sleep mode"? Should I update the driver (if available)? Disable sleep mode in power management? (this might not be very good for the drive to spin all the time). Disregard the error? (why not, my backups are ok...) Is the disk or controller is about to fail? Help! Thanks.

fdlwebmaster

• Calf
I tried to remove the indexing option, no difference. I got 5 more EventID 11 yesterday between 9:27:39PM and 9:27:41PM...

I plugged the DriveStation to a Win7 computer. Nothing wrong...

I replugged the DriveStation to the server, restarted the "Block Level Backup Engine Service".

Anything else I could try?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:49:33 PM by fdlwebmaster »

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
How many drive letters are you using? like C:, D:, etc and which is the harddrives and dvd/cd, floppy, etc. mostly there is a device that is not being detect. need to really see the setup to make things easier. But you can try disabling floppy in bios if you don't have one. also check for any drive issues in device manager.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

fdlwebmaster

• Calf
Thanks for your answer.

In this Dell PowerEdge R410 Win2008 R2 server I have 4 disks: C: D: F: and G: According to Disk Management, C: D: F: are 3 partitions of Disk 0,  and G: is alone in Disk 1. I also have E: as a CD Rom drive.
So I assumed \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 was the USB Buffalo external drive G: on Disk 1.

I just did a complete Check Disk in Disk Management (CHKDSK) for this Disk 1, no issue reported, no bad sectors, no file system errors.

In Device Manager, I see two disks, but no option there to check for issues. The driver for this Buffalo HD-WLU3/R1 external drive is "Driver Microsoft 6.1.7600.16385 (2006-06-21)". I tried to update the driver but there is no update available.

I have not noticed Event ID 11 errors since December 22, but this doesn't mean anything (Event ID 11 was reported 4 times this month on 6, 11, 16, 22 December, nothing in November, some more in October, but much less before, one in January only, not sure before).

Any more things I could check?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:11:46 AM by fdlwebmaster »

fdlwebmaster

• Calf
I got 5 new "Event ID 11 controller errors" yesterday between 9:31PM and 9:32PM. Still no clue. Check Disk finds nothing wrong on my external USB Buffalo drivestation... But I don't think ignoring these errors is a good strategy.

After reading some MS forum I tried this: Set service "Windows Driver Foundation User mode Driver Framework" to automatic (wudfsvc). This service was not started indeed... Will this help? Can't tell yet...

My hypothesis: this kind of controller error happens not everyday. When it does happen it's always when my backup has just finished, or is finishing, at around 9:30PM. My Windows Server Backup is scheduled at 9:00PM daily. Maybe Windows Backup build in a temp local folder an "image" of the backup (around 40GB), and when it's complete, around 9:30PM, send it to the USB drive. Once in a while, the drive has trouble waking up and generate this controller error. But eventually the disk wakes up and the backup is ok. I don't want to disable power saving mode for this drive, it will certainly reduce its life.

I'm considering doing some more deep tests with tools like HDDScan (hddscan.com). Any advice? Is there a "native" Bullalo similar diagnostic tool?

I could use some constructive feedback... Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:42:57 PM by fdlwebmaster »

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
If your using the power saver feature, then it might be a issue with the software + windows. I don't have the DriveStation but thinking it sounds like windows see the drive but as soon as it comes out of sleep mode its causing a issue with the driver. Usually this error has to do with a Driver. Very rarely but it can be a registry issue. You can try re-installing the software or seeing if there is a newer version.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

fdlwebmaster

• Calf
Thanks for the feedback!

No, I'm not using the ecoManager for this power saver feature. I tried today to install it (downloaded the CD Image from the download section here) but it seems ecoManager is not compatible with Win Server 2008 R2... Any clue?

So I'm left with the regular Windows method of enabling/disabling the sleep mode (for the record it's here: Control Panel / Device Manager / Universal Serial Bus controllers / Generic USB Hub / Power Management / Allow this computer to turn off this device...). I'll try to disable this function for a few days, and let you know what happens...