Author Topic: Problem with wired bridge...  (Read 5109 times)

dr0xx3rz

• Calf
Problem with wired bridge...
« on: December 16, 2013, 01:09:37 PM »
Hi!

I am trying to do a wired bridge between my modem/router provided by my ISP and my Buffalo N450 Giga that i got yesturday.

The principal reason for the wired bridge is because I get very poor signal downstairs where my video games console are via WIFI since my modem is upstairs.

I'm getting the wired downstair via HPNA from the TV box ethernet port. It have always worked fine that way with a single cable to the Xbox. I am always switching the cable from console to console and this is getting really anoying. So I bought the Buffalo N450 Giga and followed the tutorial here: http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=15202.0 // I do not want to use the wifi for the console. I want wired connection. Right now after the installation everything is working fine I get internet via wired from the N450 and get my full speed.

BUT

The internet is not shared via the WIFI. I CAN connect to the wifi network with no problem. But it always says that there is no internet available on that wifi.

Here is my config:

MAIN MODEM ROUTER: 192.168.2.1

Second router:

IP: 192.168.2.254
SUB: 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.2.1
DHCP OFF
Wifi mode: AP

Anyone have an idea what could be the problem for my wifi?

Thank you!

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Re: Problem with wired bridge...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
What firmware are you using? the buffalo friendly or dd-wrt firmware?
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

dr0xx3rz

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:31:30 PM »
The dd-wrt that was installed on it

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 09:43:12 PM »
Ah ok my bad should of clicked on the link, so brian just copied and change alil of the verbage from dd-wrt. I have the setup working fine on mine. This is what i did.

Open the Setup -> Basic Setup tab
*-WAN Connection Type : Disabled
*-Local IP Address: 192.168.1.X (i.e. different from primary router and out of primary
   router's DHCP pool)
*-Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (i.e. same as primary router)
*-DHCP Server: Disable (also uncheck DNSmasq options)
*-Gateway/Local DNS: IP address of primary router (many things will fail without this
   as your router will not be able to access the internet or another network without it)
*-Assign WAN Port to Switch (visible only with WAN Connection Type set to disabled)
   I enabled this since i see why not.
Save

Open the Setup -> Advanced Routing tab
*-Change operating mode to: Router
Save

Open the Wireless -> Basic Settings tab
-*Wireless Network Name (SSID): YourNetworkNameHere
Save

Open the Wireless -> Wireless Security tab
*-Security Mode: WPA2
*-WPA Algorithm: AES
*-WPA Shared Key: 8 characters or more
Save

Open the Services -> Services tab
*-DNSMasq: Disable
*-ttraff Daemon: Disable

Open the Security -> Firewall tab
*-Disable SPI firewall (this should gray out all options, if not check everything except Filter
   Multicast
Save

Open the Administration -> Management tab
*-Routing: Enable (make sure this is enabled or you cant get in to the routers interface no
   more.
*-Info Site Password Protection: Enable
Save
Apply Settings

once all set connect router to other router. I am also using 192.168.1.254 just like you so there should be a issue.

dr0xx3rz

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:24:31 AM »
This is what I did... Wired is working but not the wifi

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »
hmm... does the wifi work if you factory reset the router? if yes try one more time after factory resetting.  If you want you can even install the dd-wrt release firmware. i use that, as buffalo dd-wrt firmware is locked on certain settings and some tabs are hidden. This way you get the full dd-wrt. I have got it to work fine on buffalo dd-wrt firmware but i just wanted more control of the firmware.

dr0xx3rz

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
Hi again!

I have done some testing today and found my problem and cant solve it yet

Test 1: Second router plug directly into the primary router - Wifi/wired/internet sharing is working so thats good.

Test 2(the way I want it): Second router into the cable box - Wifi/wired(and internet via wired) are working but the wifi INTERNET is NOT working. I also tried to put the cable box IP adress as the second router gateway and it didnt worked either. So the problem seems to be that the router cannot shared the cablebox internet to the wifi... any idea?

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 07:11:33 PM »
wait... you are using a cable box --> http://tinyurl.com/n5an2nu
and i'm assuming you have a coax cable going to the box and then you have a cable from the box to the router? you can just do a wireless bridge connection from one router to another but then that might end up in the same situation as you are in now. I have never used this way at all and didn't think it would work at all. I can only assume that the wifi isnt working because you are using the ip from the cable box. i would try a whole different setup if this is the case. You need DHCP most likely. but the problem now is what kind of ip you are getting from the cable box and how the setup would go. i would have to do trial and error to find a way how to do this with wifi.

dr0xx3rz

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:28:55 PM »
I will try with dhcp tommorow. I have tried to put the cable box ip has the gateway on the router but it didn't worked.

dr0xx3rz

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
I have tried a lot of stuff today and nothing seems to work :( I guess it's not possible maybe

dr0xx3rz

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 12:59:48 PM »
Hi again... Yesterday i came back home from work. I was one thing in mind. Make this thing work. I did everything like I always try. 30 30 30 reboot, Router ip adress 192.168.2.254 sub 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.2.1 DHCP off and wifi in AP mode. I also tried creating a VLAN. Well guess what IT WORKED. I was so happy. I did some tweaking removed the VLAN and it still worked. I didn't know why it worked but it DID.

Well guess what, I woke up 5 hours later, the wifi is not working anymore. I cannot recreate what I did last night. This is really starting to bug me, like REALLY, I have NO IDEA why this is not working 1 day and working the other one. When I tried to connect this morning instead of getting a IP in the 192.168.2.X on the laptop it was getting 169.254.253.248 and it was not on the gateway...

So THIS IS POSSIBLE. why it stopped working...

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 06:43:54 PM »
you can try assiging your laptops wireless network connection with a static ip if you are able to connect to the wifi but are getting a 169.254.x.x. Maybe that will help. you need a valid ip of course. from there we can try something else. This is going to be a hard and long trial and error since i have ask a few people and none of them have ever though of trying this. One is going to now as he is curious. Wish i had a way to try and help but i cant give you input on what to really try since i have tried it. What kind of cable box are you using?

dr0xx3rz

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 11:58:10 AM »
Thank you. I am getting help from many forums and the way it acts and from ready from other posts of that I saw on this forum about the same unit I have a lot of people are talking about wifi drops after downloads and stuff. I think this is a problem with the UNIT and the firmware... Can I do a wired bridge and create a wifi with the user friendly firmware also?

I bought a damn Linksys and it didnt worked at all, I returned it and ordered this one online and now i'm thinking about sending it RMA and asking for a refund because random drops and connections is never a good sign.

Here is a graphic I did for some people over another forum with all infos

[attachment deleted by admin]

leot

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 08:47:55 AM »
Try setting your 2nd router in LAN-LAN configuration and change its IP to something less than 64, last two digits (within primary
   router's DHCP pool).

Second router - something like this:  192.168.2.25

Although they are linksys routers, but principals are the same - this article might be helpful :

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=94&vw=1&articleid=3733

I have AC1750 as main router and E4200 and WHR-HP-G300N in LAN-LAN set up. Working Great. Full WiFi throughout  the whole house and a backyard.

Good Luck!