Author Topic: WZR-HP-G450H: a serious crappy router  (Read 6261 times)

mailman

• Tatanka
WZR-HP-G450H: a serious crappy router
« on: November 11, 2013, 03:43:25 AM »
After 10 months i finally bought another router.

This buffalo "router" is terrible. No firmware update, no support, just a bunch of wired electrics and chips without a clou of what thery're designed to do.

wifi: it drops A LOT. tried one million solutions with any setting ... sometimes it just loops restarting.

bittorent: barely functional. you feel lucky if you can delete a torrent properly and you don't have to format the hdd everytime.

wired connection: can't stream a movie without any freeze [and sometimes the playback just stop]

dd-wrt: the official version is a joke.

i'm very very sad for the 97 euro i spent for this sh*t.

buffalo: never again

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:45:14 AM by mailman »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: WZR-HP-G450H: a serious crappy router
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:23:24 AM »
tried one million solutions with any setting

Such as?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mailman

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:58:31 PM »
Name it. Or just try every single options in a lot of combinations.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:51:05 AM »
Sorry but you're the one saying that you have tried everything, how about giving a few examples? Instead of us suggesting something that you have already tried.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Mkorofi

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 12:34:16 AM »
Can i get some advice on how to install a community built build of DD-WRT on this router (WZR-G450H).
as it is, i made the mistake of using the inbuilt router software to change from the Buffalo DD-WRT build to the Buffalo "user-Friendly" build.  Now i am stuck with the user friendly build (1.86) as i cannot go back to the initial Buffalo DD-WRT build.

whenever i try to , i get an message saying "invalid file". "router restarting".

if i try to use the tftp2 client, when i choose the Buffalo DD-WRT file (.enc file) i get a message saying the file name is invalid.

if i try to use a community file (.bin file), the client keeps trying to "erase the flash", but never succeeds.
i have tried this while rebooting the router, or unplugging it then plugging it in , or even after 30/30/30 reset.

Can someone help me ?

any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:20:17 AM »
Can i get some advice on how to install a community built build of DD-WRT on this router (WZR-G450H).
as it is, i made the mistake of using the inbuilt router software to change from the Buffalo DD-WRT build to the Buffalo "user-Friendly" build.  Now i am stuck with the user friendly build (1.86) as i cannot go back to the initial Buffalo DD-WRT build.

whenever i try to , i get an message saying "invalid file". "router restarting".

if i try to use the tftp2 client, when i choose the Buffalo DD-WRT file (.enc file) i get a message saying the file name is invalid.

if i try to use a community file (.bin file), the client keeps trying to "erase the flash", but never succeeds.
i have tried this while rebooting the router, or unplugging it then plugging it in , or even after 30/30/30 reset.

Can someone help me ?

any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

You will most likely need to downgrade the buffalo user friendly firmware to a much earlier version, the 'latest' user friendlies have a check in the firmware that won't allow dd-wrt to be installed.

Mkorofi

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »
Thanks for the info man.

after calling the support staff, they tried to lead me through it, and it still didn't work. they then informed me my unit is faulty, and they will replace it.

the thing is, i want to use this router as a VPN client, and so far, all the reviews have indicated the vpn client is no good.
i should have read them before buying this model.

so i am not to sure if i should get it replaced, substituted for another buffalo router (WZR-hp-g300nh2), or get a refund and get another brand.

Any advice? (although i am sure i am taking the piss by asking that!)

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:09:24 AM »
Thanks for the info man.

after calling the support staff, they tried to lead me through it, and it still didn't work. they then informed me my unit is faulty, and they will replace it.

the thing is, i want to use this router as a VPN client, and so far, all the reviews have indicated the vpn client is no good.
i should have read them before buying this model.

so i am not to sure if i should get it replaced, substituted for another buffalo router (WZR-hp-g300nh2), or get a refund and get another brand.

Any advice? (although i am sure i am taking the piss by asking that!)

Late reply, been busy over the weekend because of the holidays coming on.. All i can say to that is that i have used a wzr-hp-g300nh for a few years now (around 3 years) and its been one of the best units i have used, i also have a wzr-hp-ag300h and its been great to, so i wouldn't say i'm pro buffalo, but i do like their products that i happen to use. Main thing with me is that i wanted something that would support both dd-wrt and openwrt. I use dd-wrt on my main AP (ag300h) and i use openwrt on the repeater (g300nh), both works great for me.

Mkorofi

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 11:52:15 AM »
Don't worry about the late reply, this forum is like a ghost town, i am glad someone else is alive.

unfortunately, where i am at the moment, the G300NH is not available any more, the have replaced it with the G300NH2.

kudos to Buffalo, they have replaced my G450H with a brand new one.

just not too sure what to do with it. its still unopened,  i would like to return it to the shop, and exchange it for the AG300H,  but i don't think that will be possible.
all of this just to get a working VPN client on a router.
don't yet really know what to do, as i am not so DD-WRT experienced yet.

Any advice is always appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Peace

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 05:29:22 AM »
Well the thing is, the G300nh (not sure about the NH2, but i don't think they vary to much) has much more powerful radio in it than the AG300H. The AG300H is pretty good, but its wireless range isn't as good as some other units i have, thus the need for a repeater using the G300NH. But if wireless range isn't a big issue for you, than the AG300H should be ok. I mean its not horrible range, covers my house well (approx. 2300 sq ft), but i wanted to provide a connection for my neighbor to use as they could connect to my AG300H, but the thru-put speed was kinda slow imho. So i got the G300NH and set it up as a repeater for her, and it works great with fast thru-put.