Author Topic: HD-H1.0TGL/R5 6 red flashes after Firmware update  (Read 8700 times)

eezzeee

• Calf
HD-H1.0TGL/R5 6 red flashes after Firmware update
« on: April 12, 2009, 08:07:55 AM »

Hello,

I have a problem with my Terastation (  HD-H1.0TGL/R5) after trying to update the Firmware from 1.x to 2.0.

After turning on the TS the blue LED will go on indicating Gigabit ethernet, the green LED in the middle will blink constantly and the green LED for the drives will flash circling clockwise. After about a minute, the green LEDs for the drives are still circling, I am able to access the drive through the network, I am not running a DHCP server but I am able to access it on 192.168.11.150. I am able to fully access the website at this point, doing a reset or enabling shares.

After a couple of minutes, the drive LEDs were still circling up to this point, the drives will shut down, the drive LEDs will switch to solid green and the left LED of the buttom 3 will flash 6 Times red over and over. The TS is no more accessible at this point.

I tried to update the firmware again using the executables for version 2.0 and 2.16 but the updater program will not find the TeraStation and say "Terastation that needs updating wasn't found", note that I am able to ping and access the website of the TS at this point though. Also the NasNavi cannot find the TS.

I have also tried TFTP Boot Recovery TS-HTGL-R5 1.20 by changing my Computers IP to 192.168.11.1 and starting the program. It will correctly say that it is listening on 192.168.11.1 and that it is accepting requests but nothing else happens. I tried resetting the unit by pressing the red reset button on the back for over 30 seconds but nothing happens.

Because the TS is accessible for at least a couple of minutes until it shuts down and flashes the red LED I am still hoping to be able to recover the unit. So what should I do? 

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: HD-H1.0TGL/R5 6 red flashes after Firmware update
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 12:51:15 PM »
You tried a TFTP boot recovery on a TeraStation I (HD-H1.0TGL) with a client for a TeraStation Live (TS-HTGL)? That doesn't work. If you're trying to update the firmware and the TS is on the IP 192.168.11.150 you would need to set your computer to 192.168.11.xxx (where xxx is a value between 0-255 and not 150). That will put your computer on the same subnet and you can attempt to access the data there. Try powering down the unit and hold down the reset button on the back of the unit while powering the TeraStation. DO NOT attempt a TFTP boot option at this point because there is not one for this model. Post back if you're confused on anything.

eezzeee

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 03:42:17 PM »

Thank you for the quick answer. 

I want to make clear that in all my update attempts I have been indeed on the same subnet as the terastation. And as I said I actually am able to ping the TS and even access the webinterface. But neither the Firmware Updater nor the NasNavi Program will find the TS.

I have now tried to hold down the reset button while powering it on. It seems the TS boots in some kind of special mode and it will not shutdown as it would when booting it normally. I am again able to ping and access the webinterface but the updater or nas navi are again not able to find the unit.

I am not interested in recovering the data on the unit.

I would like to know whether there is a way to reflash the firmware so that the unit is working normal again?

Thanks. 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 04:39:06 PM »
and you have all of your firewalls disabled?  What anti virus software are you running?

eezzeee

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 03:05:26 PM »

I tried this from a fresh installed windows 2000 and a fresh installed windows xp workstation. Both without firewall or antivirus.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 01:01:32 PM »
When you access the web admin do you see anything about a possible RAID array error or disk check occurring?

eezzeee

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 02:27:25 PM »

There is no notification of some sort right away. I can format each drive separately without any error.

When I try to create and RAID Array I get the following error message:

"The rebuild of the RAID Array did not complete successfully.

Confirm the status of each disk, reboot TeraStation and attempt to rebuild the RAID Array again."

I do get that message both when starting the TS normal and when holding down the reset button.

I do want an raid spanning over all four drives but I also tried the other modes including Raid 1 for only drive 1+2 and drive 3+4 everytime with the same error message.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 03:32:55 PM »
It's possible that the HDD could be faulty. Have you replaced it?

eezzeee

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 04:03:32 PM »

No I have not. I do not think that the Hardware is faulty. The unit was working fine until I tried to update the firmware to 2.0. The Updater Program behaved weird. Although the Gui already quit I saw that the Process was still running in the background. So again I dont think its the hardware, neither the drives nor the TS because the problem only occured the first time the TS booted with the new firmware.

I guess something went wrong during the update although the webinterface says that firmware version 2.00 is installed.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 06:48:27 PM »
So the unit isn't shutting down anymore when you hold down the RESET button and power it on? Attempt the firmware update to 2.16 again and try a fresh download. If the firmware updater was acting weird it's best to eliminate the possibility of a messed up download.

jhpeterson

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »

Hi.  I am new to the forum, but not new to the TeraStation.  I have read the thread and have a similar issue.  I am wondering if there is a way to "rewind" the firmware upgrade back from 2.16 to earlier versions.  Reason being, I followed the upgrade proceedure with at tech on the phone, and then when we restarted, we lost the links to all the shared drives.  Because the product was out of warranty, they told me there was nothing that could be done.  After spending a couple of hundred dollars and getting a quote of $3K to recover the data - it is still there - a suggestion was made to get the older firmware and re-load, set the share names back up and see if that would change anything.  I was told since no format of the drice was done, the firmware update is a non-destructive process and all is as it should be on the drives themselves - i just can see them.

eezzeee

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 01:12:38 PM »

Hello again,

I have now re downloaded  fw 2.00 and 2.16 and I tried again both updater programs but again no success. Both updater versions cannot find the Terastation although it is pingable.

So I am wondering like jhpeterson whether there is just a way to force a reflash... maybe through a USB device and a special service mode or something like that.

Also I would provide the following list of open ports detected by an nmap scan:

Port Scanning host: 192.168.11.150

Open TCP Port:  21      ftp

Open TCP Port:  80      http

Open TCP Port:  139     netbios-ssn

Open TCP Port:  515     printer

Open TCP Port:  548     afpovertcp

Open TCP Port:  873     rsync

Open TCP Port:  8080    http-alt

Open TCP Port:  8873    dxspider

Open TCP Port:  22939 

Thanks again. 

jhpeterson

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 01:29:33 PM »
   Where did you get a copy of 2.0 firware?

eezzeee

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »
   In the downloads section of buffalo-technology.com.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 04:34:13 PM »
jhpeterson, Did you try accessing the data via FTP?